Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yet another Maggie-Vox

LOL, this is gettin' to be the Magnavox division of the Philco Phorum. While I've been a Magnavox owner for some time, Just had another lugged home here last night. This one is a prewar Maggie Belvedere. The cabinet styling is just about identical to the postwar model The Belvederes traditionally used he same chassis as the Regencies, and those models resembled the postwar jobs as well. There was even a prewar Windsor. I'll try to get some pictures here, soon's I can get my camera and other computer going again.

This set had a single chassis with Push-Pull 6L6 power amps, driving two 12 inch speakers. I hven't dug into it yet, but both of the 6L6's are the early big glass jobs; possibly even originals, though it isn't important. It appears that the 6L6's are transformer coupled from the previous stage. A look at the Magnavox book will tell that. They will probably put out 18-25 watts.

Cabinet is very nice, with a few little pieces of the decorative fretwork missing. The speaker grille cloth is totally missing. I sort of think that a previous owner might have had a cat, that finished off the cloth. I'll check John Okolowicz (grillecloth.com) for a match or near match for pattern.

The original changer is in it. It's a Garrard, possibly RC-60. It appears to be intact, so hopefully, it will be in working shape. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if the original changer in the prewar Regency might have been the same thing. Knowing that Magnavox had also used the Webster-Chicago 3 post changer in 1941-42, I had just thought that they had the W-C in that model too. The service book should sort that out.

While I have favored Philco and RCA strongly, there are many more examples of Philco sets around, and almost as many RCA jobs to be found, as well. But, there were fewer of the more expensive marques to be had, for reasons obvious. Magnavox served some very delicious offerings, and while the postwar models are more abundant, the prewar models intrigue me a lot. I already have a Chairside, a little Playfellow portable, one of the table phono models (model?), a couple of end table phono combos and a table phono combo, again, model?.

Our pal, Randy Bassham is quite an expert on Magnavox, having been a service guy for a Magnavox dealer. I'll have to get a few questions for him on a few items that puzzle me.

Messages In This Thread
Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Ron Ramirez - 03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Ron Ramirez - 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Ron Ramirez - 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 03-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Ron Ramirez - 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM