Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Accidental Enthusiast, Curbside Find, and Some Questions

Hello, this is my first post here and I wanted to introduce myself.

My interest in vintage radios began a year or so ago when I found a Zenith 7A02 at St. Vincent de Paul for $40. It was in pretty decent shape, and although the radio was disassembled, all of the parts (I hope) were included in a plastic bag. I brought it home just because it was beautiful and would look great in the living room.

Then I decided that I needed to make a couple vintage style radio cabinets to serve as speaker cabinets in my new distillery. I figured they'd look a look better than modern cabinets, and after researching makes and models, I settled on the Baby Grand Model 90. Since these will be mounted high on the walls, I'll be making them out of MDF cut on a CNC router and painting them rather than mess with veneer.

Then just last week I nearly gave my son a heart attack when we were driving down a residential street in an older neighborhood and I suddenly yelled STOP!! BACK UP!! He thought he'd hit a child or something, but it was merely the unmistakable shape of a vintage radio console sitting at the curbside... on garbage day. Below are some pictures of the radio/phono, which I couldn't find anything on at all. There's no model sticker and no escutcheon to speak of, although the radio dial says Philco, and the radio unit itself has a Philco logo on it.

Question 1: Are there any woodworking plans available for building the Baby Grand 90 from scratch? If not, can someone tell me the height and width of the cabinet as measured from the back, not including the bottom trim?

Question 2: What the heck is this thing?

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.