Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

In Praise of Steve Davis and his great cabinet work

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Arran

I'm glad someone out there besides me is not satisfied with the Radio Daze Philco decals.

I should tell you folks at this point that I sent Radio Daze a note with my concerns about the decals. My pleas for authenticity were ignored, as they did not bother to reply. So they don't give a rat's behind, as long as there are enough people out there buying their inferior product who also do not care about authenticity.

For what it's worth, I had complained to Mike Tobin about the Philco decals when he was still running Rock-Sea; and he responded by designing new decals that looked like the original Philco decals. Unfortunately, right after our email exchange, Mike sold out to Radio Daze, and apparently his new work was either lost, or tossed out, by the new owners.

As I see it, there are two ways to do something about this:

1. More people who care about authenticity, like you, need to contact Radio Daze and complain.

2. Someone else needs to go into the decal making business and make correct looking decals.

If anyone else is interested in this subject, I can split this off into a separate topic. Something needs to be done about this.

Oh, and by the way, the original PHILCO decal looks the same, whether the set is Canadian or USA made. I have a Canadian 39-330AT, and have owned and seen other Canadian Philcos, so I know the only difference is, like the USA models, that the decal changed during the 1937 season to a bolder font but still, looking nothing like the Radio Daze crap.

That is useful to know regarding the U.S and Canadian Philco decals. It's a bit off topic but I wonder if the RCA and G.E ones are the same North and South. The RCA ones up here say RCA Victor in a sort of script at the bottom and above that is a double ended logo with two circles with the lightening bolt RCA insignia in one circle on the right and a nipper logo in the circle on the left, neither Rock Sea nor Radio Daze has this decal or even a variation of any part of it. The G.E one has "General" on the right side, "Electric" one the right, and the GE monogram in the center, what is wrong with the Rock Sea (and likely the Radio Daze) version is the monogram has gold lettering on a clear background, all of my sets have the GE monogram with a gold background with black lettering on top, are these correct for American G.E sets?
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread