Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rookie Needs Some Cabinet Resotoration Advice

I just purchased a Model 40-190 and I am looking to restore the cabinet. I have seen some amazing restorations, with some people opting to simply wax the cabinet back to a beautiful luster and others stripping and then restoring. When I look at completed Model 40 cabinets they have an amazing tone, which is what I am aiming for. My question is, based on my images, should I consider stripping the cabinet? If so, do I simply re-lacquer it with medium walnut tone or stain it? If the cabinet is not in need of stripping, how best can I revitalize the tone. Also, there is a chip on above the center Philco emblem, which appears to be the veneer. How do I go about restoring that chip so that it is smooth and perfect again. What is the best way to approach all the little nicks, which can be seen in some of the photos? My inexperienced first thought would be to sand them out but somehow, from reading various posting on the forum, I don't think that is the way to do.

This is my first antique radio and I am looking to learn little by little and appreciate any and all advice.

**Having trouble uploading more than one image but I will try and get the others on so that everyone can see what I am talking about.

-sebastian

Messages In This Thread
Rookie Needs Some Cabinet Resotoration Advice - by sebastian4130 - 04-20-2011, 09:23 PM