Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can anyone identify this set?

Arran Wrote:I don't know how "West Coast" that cabinet design could be considered to be, there were several East Coast and Mid West manufacturers that built similar peaked top tombstones...........
Similar, but west coast sets often have a certain look. After chasing these for many years and pouring over Western Music and Radio Trade Journal's (the west coast equivalent of Radio Retailing), you get a feel for how the sets were styled. It isn't just an offset dial or a peaked top, but a combination of styles and designs that often set them apart.

While the Echophone model C was one of the earlier mantel sets, Echophone soon relocated to Illinois and their distinctive designs with repwood grills, starting with the S-5 series set them apart. I never felt that Clarion radios had the west coast look, even the offset dial models, and I've had several.

The Minuette in question has design features that were common to other sets that came from the Los Angeles area. The two that strike me the most is a modern Jackson Bell sunburst (either the model 60 or 62) and a Falck made by Advance. If I had seen this radio at a swap meet I would have guessed its roots even before seeing the Gilfillan tag on the chassis.

That's just my opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours.

[Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/j...Bell60.jpg]

Good luck finding a schematic Kevin. I'll look in some of the material I downloaded from Floyd Paul and see if I find anything.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Messages In This Thread
Can anyone identify this set? - by 37silverstreak - 07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Re: Can anyone identify this set? - by Eliot Ness - 07-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Re: Can anyone identify this set? - by 7estatdef - 07-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Re: Can anyone identify this set? - by Eliot Ness - 07-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Re: Can anyone identify this set? - by Arran - 07-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Re: Can anyone identify this set? - by Eliot Ness - 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM