Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Opinions On Telefunken Opus 7

thirtiesradio Wrote:
Mikhail7 Wrote:Update: I brought the radio up on the variac and it works. Some pushbutton switches are noisy, need a darn good cleaning, and the tuning eye tube is very faint, but otherwise it gave a good account of itself. Sounds wonderful! I need to free up the dial string because it will only turn in one direction with the tuning knob.

I also brought up the recently-accquired 1936 model Zenith 5S29 on the variac. This radio is working too. For a 5-tuber it's amazingly sensitive and it can get very loud.

Mike
Glad you had luck with your Opus. They really are great looking radios and very good performers. I'd at least replace the power supply filter caps and the coupling caps to the EL84's before using it. If doing the full recap there is also a bipolar cap on the top trans that needs to stay bipolar.
I have quite a few Zeniths, as that is all I collected until recently. The 5-S-29 is a great sounding set. It can really fill the room with sound for having such a small speaker and has very nice styling for a small tombstone as well.
When you recap the Zenith don't forget about the candohm that is in Zenith sets. It is easy to overlook an open section. Also don't attach resistors to the candohm, but use a separate terminal strip, as original sections sometimes short to ground. The 5-S-29 is the first Zenith I bought and I still enjoy it!
Best of luck with your 2 fine radios!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I'll follow up on it. And thanks for pointing out the bipolar cap and its location.

Ah yes, the candohm, I probably would have over looked that. And thanks for the advice re: the resistors and terminal strip. I believe I have some of those salvaged from other sets in the past. Yes, I really liked the looks of the 5S29 and I thought while I have the wherewithall I might as well not delay picking that one up. Sure is one of Zenith's prettiest little tadios, a lot of bang fot the buck ya might say, and does this set get loud for a single ended 6F6G! Icon_crazy

Mike

Messages In This Thread
Opinions On Telefunken Opus 7 - by Michael Dennis - 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Re: Opinions On Telefunken Opus 7 - by codefox1 - 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Re: Opinions On Telefunken Opus 7 - by Michael Dennis - 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM