Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which Philco radio to restore next? A 38-620 or a 41-256?

Hi all, This is my first post to this phorum so I hope I'm in the right place asking the right questions. First of all, I'm pretty new to radio repair but I've been visiting this phorum on a regular basis to read and learn all about radio repair and restoration. I am amazed how knowledgeable and helpful the membership is. A big THANK YOU to Ron for starting this website. It is so helpful and goes a long way to keeping these Philcos playing. Phil's old radios website was really helpful, too.
First, a little background. I know how to solder and use a DVM, but I'm not an electronics person. So after lots of reading "how to do it radio repair articles", I picked up a 7 tube 1937 General Electric F70 radio on Craigs List. I was told it worked when I got it which is a big step in the right direction for a newbie. I very carefully replaced 13 capacitors, 4 electrolytic capacitors and 7 resisters. And I changed out some of that old rotted rubber wire, too. I replaced everything exactly right, one step at a time. It didn't get all blowed up or nuthin' when I turned it on Icon_lol ! I do have some questions about this radio, but I realize this is a Philco phorum so I'll save those questions for ARF. My questions concern my next project.
I picked up a Philco 6 tube 38-620T bullet radio and a really nice-looking 9 tube 41-256. Does anyone know the difference between the 41-255 and 41-256? I noticed the short wave ranges are different. My shortwave ranges are 8.8 to 12.0 and 13.6 to 18.0. I have no idea what this means. Is that good or bad or just different? Are there any other big differences? It seems that there are a lot more 41-255's out there than 41-256's. I did see that a fellow named "badrestorer" on ARF did a very thorough restoration on a 41-255 for newbie types such as myself. My rubber wiring on this set is not horrible, but some will surely be replaced or covered with shrink tubing. My other choice is a 38-620T. I've read a lot about the center suspended chassis and the two paper capacitors that are buried deep down there. I'm sure I can replace them if I go slow and makes lots of diagrams on what goes where. "Badrestorer" did a step by step restoration on a 37-610, which is close but it's not the same radio. Any thoughts on all this rambling?
Right now I know enough to be dangerous. My next goal is get a working variac with a fuse, but I'm on a tight budget right now. I actually found a variac at a radio swap meet, but it had been overloaded and was burned out. It didn't have a fuse. Ah, live and learn. I did make a dim bulb tester out of an extension cord. I joined the Southern California radio club, SCARS, but haven't met anyone who lives near enough to me that I can ask my many questions. Any help or suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated. Thanks to all for reading this far. Tom, Glendale, CA

Messages In This Thread