Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Re-stuffing the Power Filter Box Can assembly in Philco20

Brought myself to doing that.

So far re-stuffing the caps was a walk in the park. Did all backelites and, today, the tin-can ones - they were not potted.

Now this big one next to the power XFMR, seems to be a challenge.
I desoldered it, drilled out the rivets, cut the wires and the panel came off relatively easy - just had to be careful not to crack it.

But then it's all potted with tar, and, unlike in the small backelite ones, it's a large can and the same technique is not likely to work.
I removed the tar at the bottom, to the level where caps are, but what to do next?
Short of using a chisel and a hammer, does any one of you know any quick (or quicker) and not too painful way of cleaning this can up?

And, when the cleaning is done - how do I secure the panel back? The rivets seemed to be glued right in the tar, so now that the tar is gone, what do I rivet it to?

The caps probably will be soldered right to the panel, but securing the whole thing in the can does not look straightforward.

Mike.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.