Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

...After condenser bank replacement in Philco 20

Gvel

Thanks.

This radio does not use line filtering, and, to be honest, I am not sure why it would need it.
I can try it, just to see if it does anything, but line filtering does not remove AC buzz.
(As I just wrote the buzz subsided after I found a disconnect).
It will filter out very high frequency noise, which you won't even hear.

What you refer to, I mean the article, is "Line filtering" caps, or (in case of switcher-supply) Y-cap. In the Switching Supplies (I designed few for very bad line conditions, like in India, where 270VAC is not uncommon where it should be 220VAC) they are used, and for a good reason.
Y caps are used to bridge the supplies from the "Hot" side to "Cold", to short-circuit common mode hi-freq. currents (going through chopping pulse XFMR), to keep the supply from radiating EMI (the one detected by an Antenna and a spectrum analyzer), and those are Y-rated, as failure will connect a customer to the AC line directly.
The line caps are used, together with a Common-mode chokes, also in the Switchers, to get rid of the conducted emissions, (detected by using LISNs and the spectrum analyzer).
That is all this is usually to make a device pass FCC/ETSI/CISPR22 and such.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Re: ...After condenser bank replacement in Philco 20 - by morzh - 11-25-2011, 04:53 PM