Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

...After condenser bank replacement in Philco 20

Now, after being intimate with the condenser bank for 3 hrs, after I turned on my Philco 20, I think (no I cannot vouch for it, but I am pretty sure of it) the AC buzz is more pronounced.
I actually did not hear much of it with the volume turned all the way down before the change.
Now I hear it, and it is quite noticeable.
Interesting that when swapping the two output 71A tubes places, it gets louder in one position, and quieter in another.

Now, I am 100% sure I did everything right, and the values are correct (two caps of 1uF/400V (pos. 1-2 and 1-4), one cap of 1.5uF/250V (pos. 1-3) and 0.15uF/50V (not 0.13uF, but it is today's value) in pos. 2-6).

I am not sure as to the reason. It is possible that due to large size of the old caps and their intimate (I seem to like that word, don't I) coupling with the Chassis through the can walls, there was some effect.......don't know.

I am thinking of trying larger values in filtering positions first.

Has anyone experience similar effects when you changed your banks?
I mean, all is new now - all caps and resistors, and all seemed to work better before the bank got updated.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
...After condenser bank replacement in Philco 20 - by morzh - 11-24-2011, 12:22 PM