Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can Cap Questions for 50-922

Hello!

I have started the restoration process of a Philco 50-922 and I have some questions about the can capacitor.

First of all, I need help determining which capacitors to use when re-stuffing this component. My can cap is wrapped in an orange cardboard tube with the following information printed on it:

MALLORY
TCT3118
MFD VDC
80 150 RED
50 150 BLUE
50 150 ORANGE

NEG BLK
MADE IN U.S.A.

The schematic and replacement parts list both have C14A (RED), C14B (BLUE), and C14C (ORANGE) listed as electrolytic capacitors with values of 30 MFD, 40 MFD, and 40 MFD respectively.

There is obviously a discrepancy here. Is the can cap an original part or a replacement? Since nearly everything else on the radio seems to say "Philco" on it somewhere, it makes me wonder. If it isn't an original part, then it's pretty clear that I need to re-stuff this can with capacitors as specified on the schematic/replacement parts list. But if it IS an original part, which values should I buy to re-stuff the can?

Secondly, I'm trying to figure out how to open up this can to gut it and re-stuff it. I've not opened one up before, so I'm not sure what I'm going to find inside the shiny aluminum shell. The top has an epoxy/resin surrounding the three colored wires. Is the entire can typically full of this resin or is it just in the opening? I've searched a bit and can't seem to find a good procedure for cleaning it out.

Finally, can I just forego the can completely, build an assembly with the three new caps, insulate the leads with heat shrink tubing, and put them inside the cardboard shell, leaving the aluminum can out completely? Or does the can serve some sort of purpose?

Thanks for any help you can give! It's been a couple of decades since I've worked with tube electronics, and I'm excited to get going on a hands-on project again.

--
DeShawn Smith
Current Project: Philco 50-922

Messages In This Thread
Can Cap Questions for 50-922 - by deshawn - 02-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Re: Can Cap Questions for 50-922 - by codefox1 - 02-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Re: Can Cap Questions for 50-922 - by Ron Ramirez - 02-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Re: Can Cap Questions for 50-922 - by deshawn - 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM