Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Request Opinion on This 39-30 Power Transformer

Good morning. This is my first AC set (and first Philco) though I've reworked several AC/DC sets of various makes.

This power transformer read 65-70 MegaOhms resistance across the primary inside the set, even when measuring on two nicks I made on those wires to get a direct measurement. With it out of its laminations, I'm reading Infinity across the primary.

It's a bit sooty looking and smells like old axle grease but not really a burnt smell.
I can see some of the winding wire, and there was a silver-dollar size pool of wax on the floor of the cabinet when I got the set. I'm not sure how much wax came out of it since I'm unfamiliar with the AC transformers.

There are several nicks in the cloth wiring of the leads but not that bad. From looking at pics that others did of their 39-30 restoration, this is a bit different style transformer than the original, (leads come out the side rather than bottom center) and probably a bit newer.

The photos are on PhotoBucket:
http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz199...ansformer/

If it's not salvageable, I'd like to find a replacement. The Philco part number of the original is 32-7976.

Any opinions are welcome.

Regards,
Clarence