Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie introduction

Hello All, I thought I might introduce myself before asking 67 questions. My name is Jay and I live in a small town outside of Kansas City. I have been fascinated with vacuum tubes for a few years, mostly in Hi-Fi systems. I know just enough to get in trouble most of the time. I have for the most part done minor repairs and lots of re-caps and cleanings, allthough I have built one single ended triode amp from scratch. As far as antique radios go I've had a couple of Zeniths for several years, but never a Philco until today. I acquired a very pristine model 511 complete with the seperate speaker. It was looking for information on it, that lead me here, where I browsed for the better part of the day. I read one post where a fellow said he had a 511 running on the original electronics. I figured what the heck, and prepared to test out my new treasure. I started by testing all the tubes, and found two of the four 26s to be bad. Interestingly enough the two that were good were branded Philco, and the bad ones were a Tung-Sol and an RCA. Anyhow, the #80 rectifier was fine, as was the 27. I do not have the settings for any of my testers to check the 117 (final output?). I replaced the two bad 26s and plugged her into my variac. I very slowly over about an hour, brought the voltage up while monitoring the watts. It is rated for 50, and settled in at 54 at 105 volts. There was no release of magic smoke or sound. I looked underneath and checked the 2meg resistor which was fine. I removed the cover that houses the primary transformer, huge capacitor?, and what appera to be two chokes stacked one on top of the other. The bottom choke had 150vdc in, and 139vdc out. The top choke had ~12vdc in and nothing out. I'll be honest and say that this big radio is pretty much greek to me, and the last thing I want to do is damage an unobtainable part that has survived since 1928. This old girl is a true survivor and deserves the best. I am open to any and all suggestions, and appreciate same, Jay

BTW- I have pics if someone can tell me how to post them.

Messages In This Thread
Newbie introduction - by Guest - 10-08-2006, 06:12 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 10-09-2006, 09:11 AM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 10-09-2006, 09:17 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 10-09-2006, 02:51 PM
[No subject] - by OzRadio - 10-14-2006, 05:43 PM