Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 87 Highboy De Luxe

Hi All,

I would like to recap my Model 87 soon. I have a small stockpile of high quality German MKP Audiophiler 400WVDC film capacitors in the higher values that might be usable for the larger filter caps (the 1, 2, and .5uF ones), but also a good supply of the usual 630V yellow caps of indeterminate origin from "Just Radios".

None of the schematics I have seen give voltage ratings for the filter caps. This radio is extremely special to me, so I would prefer to go with quality if possible. This is not to say that the typical yellow ones are bad, but the German caps seem to be manufactured to a much higher standard, and always measure spot-on for capacitance (the larger-value yellow ones all measure a trifle low). Based on the Rider's schematic I've seen with voltage readings, 400V caps won't provide all that much overhead...

Would the 400V caps be suitable for the application? Would it be better to go with the yellow 630s for the sake of higher overhead/increased reliability? Am I just being really picky? Thanks in advance!

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 87 Highboy De Luxe - by GuyIncognito - 03-28-2012, 04:59 AM
RE: Philco Model 87 Highboy De Luxe - by Arran - 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM