Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Growing up quick...with a 38-690xx Pics added.

SUCCESS! After obtaining a replacement choke (the Hammond, thanks Ron!) and installing it along with some tube socket cleaning this wonderful old guy came to life! Icon_biggrin Reception on all 5 bands. Voltages within specs. Transformers run nice and warm but not hot after an hour of playing. All three speakers work. One tweeter field coil runs rather warm but I've read this is a normal occurance. It definitely needs an alignment and it has a hum I can't seem to track down. Its not affected by the volume control which now works perfectly by the way. Bass response is a little lax but I suspect when the speaker is back in the cabinet that may change. This guy is LOUD too. I was lucky enough to come by a set of Philco 6L6G's that test over 90% and they are now happily living in the amp chassis.

Next up.. Alignment, track down that hum and then look at the tweeter wiring as I have read that the factory wired them wrong. Also gonna address the tweeter capacitor issue I have read about. Something to do with changing the value to increase frequency response? Any advice on these issues is greatly appreciated. I will get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Growing up quick...with a 38-690xx Pics added. - by badwaxcaps - 05-23-2013, 01:05 PM