Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-296 Problems

I have a couple questions for Ron or whomever.

I am working on a 41-296X with a 41-285 chassis -I think.

I say 'I think' because there are several discrepancies between the schematic and reality.
One is the dial lamps. I have only Two dial lamps in the radio, one for the dial and one for the band selector switch instead of 5 lamps as depicted by (part 66) on the schematic. The band selector lamp is housed in a hinged metal block, attached to the band selector switch with a black dial cord, and with a retaining spring keeping tension on the dial string.
My schematic shows 5 lamps here, and a 1.8 ohm resistor tying into the harness. Since I have only one lamp, that moves up and down into 5 positions instead of 5 fixed lamps, should I still plan to use a 1.8 ohm resistor there, or should that be changed? (Edit: I assume this will be a 1.8 ohm resistor as only one lamp was ever lit at any time, while my single lamp will be more or less continuously lit. QED same difference.)

Next: Someone (a long time ago judging by the aged, yellow 'Pyramid' electrolytic cap) replaced part no. 62 (12 Uf electrolytic) with a 16 Uf cap. Before getting my schematic, I replaced this with a new 16 uf 450 volt electro. Is that a problem? I have ordered a 12 uf to replace my replacement with, but want it done 'best'.

Third; my 84 tube was replaced with a 6X5 with a plug in adaptor. Why? Which is better? Should I trash the adaptor and just use an 84 tube in that socket, or was there a 'good' reason for this change? Is there a good way to fuse the link between the 84 tube and the transformer, so if the 6X5 or 84 let go, the transformer is protected?

Fourth; I am adding a fused link to the main power cord outside the chassis (safety and liability reasons), the radio claims 60 watts power on 110, my math says a 1 amp fuse will do the job (60 watts/110 volts X 1.5= .8181 amps) or should I use a 1.5 amp fuse?

Fifth; (and most frustrating) Part No 3, Antenna Trans.
Mine had Black, rotten rubber wires coming from post nos. 7 and 5 that were cut and twisted together (not stripped). I cannot for the life of me figure these two wires out, especially since A) they both appear original and B) I cannot find part no 8, nor anyplace where this coil would have originally been attached (no solder spots or anything to even indicate it had ever been installed)
I have already replaced every other wire in this set, and all went to where the schematic seemed to indicate, Except these two (one?) wires....Help!

I am Considering adding an accessory jack for ipod, mp3 etc. and think that I would like to add it by unsoldering one of the 540-1060KC pretune coils and splicing in there, so by simply pushing that preselect button, it will switch over to accessory while still using the radio amplifier, tone and volume circuits. Opinions?

Beyond that, this puppy is as Beautiful as a total (and I mean TOTAL, as in 'Damnit Jim, I'm a Doctor not an electrician!') newbie can make it, (thanks to this site and Antique Radio Forums) all rust free and as shiny as new, almost ready for its first power up. Everything seems to ohm out -again to the best a total novice can judge -so is there anything I overlooked?

Thank you so much for your help, and for this site (I couldn't have done this without you guys).
BTW, just to gloat, I got the 41-296 for $60 and have put $204 into the restoration, plus 49.5 hours on the cabinet and only 19 hours into the chassis rewire. (I do not count the time I spend scratching my head and grunting apelike over the schematic) Icon_smile Icon_biggrin

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 41-296 Problems - by TheFightingHellfish - 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
RE: Philco Model 41-296 Problems - by Ron Ramirez - 01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
RE: Philco Model 41-296 Problems - by BrendaAnnD - 05-04-2013, 07:41 PM
RE: Philco Model 41-296 Problems - by Mondial - 05-04-2013, 08:25 PM
RE: Philco Model 41-296 Problems - by Raleigh - 05-05-2013, 12:49 AM
RE: Philco Model 41-296 Problems - by Raleigh - 05-05-2013, 11:32 PM
RE: Philco Model 41-296 Problems - by BrendaAnnD - 05-06-2013, 01:34 AM