Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-180 Recap - Looking for tips/advice

So after recapping and repairing 2 table tops (1933 and 1949 RCAs) an a '50 Chevy radio, I decided to try a 40-180. And after removing the chassis, my first question was what the heck did I get into?

I've read a several other threads on similar chassis recaps. And learned a few things along the way. Like restuffing the Bakelite cap pack, and replacing/repairing the rubber coated wires. But I was wondering if there were other tips or tricks to this chassis.

It looks like the first thing you do is desolder the 7 leads from the series of adjusting screws (I don't know what else to call them) from the push button switches. Then you can remove the bracket. Next it looks like you desolder the bare braided wire from each of the preset coils that runs to the push button switches. After that, it looks like you will then have access to the majority of the caps.

Am I on the right track so far? I did order a set of service papers from philcorepairbench.com and caps I should get from just radios.com that should be showing up later this week. Any other tips for this chassis?

Thanks!

-Nick

Messages In This Thread
40-180 Recap - Looking for tips/advice - by Nick3092 - 09-17-2013, 06:56 PM