Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 630

A while ago I posted about a recent Philco 630 I purchased. It was a general discussion, as I am new to antique radios. The cabinet restoration can be seen in this thread:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=7262

I have now removed the chassis and speaker from the cabinet and intend to bring them to a restorer on Long Island.The radio played when I got it, but shortly thereafter it had the following symptoms: the volume began to decrease over a period of about a minute, there were popping or crackling sounds (I think not from the speaker), and a slight burning smell. I was surprised on looking under the chassis that some electronic components had previously been replaced. I count 6 replaced capacitors (I think) and a couple of other parts, possibly resistors, and possibly some re-sleeved wires. I have attached photos of the top and underside of the chassis. There are a few blobs of wax on the bottom of the cabinet that look recent to me, and a few drips on the wires above. These drips are under the outside edge of the transformer, though I cannot see what their source is. Is there wax in the transformer? Does anyone have any thoughts based on this description what the problem is, just so I have some idea what to expect?

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Philco 630 - by Jeremy - 11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
RE: Philco 630 - by Mondial - 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM
RE: Philco 630 - by Jeremy - 11-03-2013, 12:21 PM
RE: Philco 630 - by Mondial - 11-03-2013, 01:04 PM
RE: Philco 630 - by Jeremy - 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM