Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Preparing 40-201 for painting chassis

Last night I spent time reinstalling the electrolytic capacitors. They are not connected yet. I am going to have to add some terminal strips to use them as they are restuffed and have flying leads. I rewired the push-button switch assembly. I am using some left over wire from some discarded electronic equipment to repair the Philco. There are two leads that will come from the bank of coils and push-button switches. One now has a yellow insulated wire to go under the chassis and the other is a black wire. I have to determine where to connect them as the mice had completely chewed them away.

I discovered there are some more rubber grommets on the tuning control assembly right up at the dial area that are crumbling too. I will have to measure them and find replacements.

I used some white acrylic paint and the smallest artists brush I have to paint a white stripe on the band-switch knob because the original paint had long since disappeared. Now it will be easy at a glance to see what position it is in.

Somehow, I managed to loose one of the 1/4" machine screws with captive starwasher that holds the tuning capacitor mounting brackets together. I had them until I took the brackets apart for painting yesterday. It is still here somewhere. I just need to clean off the desk top and find it (or look through my collection of old hardware in the barn). I am basically a pack rat and never throw things away.

Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions and provided encouragement!

Joe

Messages In This Thread
RE: Preparing 40-201 for painting chassis - by Joeztech - 11-30-2013, 06:33 AM