Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 513- to restore or not to restore

That is the question!
I've had my Labrador Gray 513 for about three years now and she is a favorite Philco in my collection. It has the matching speaker as well as an aftermarket metal stand in the same color scheme as the radio. It is also completely original, apart from the shredded speaker cloth that I replaced after I got the set, it has never had any repair work done to it and even came with a complete set of balloon shaped Cunningham tubes. It also has a low serial number of 002042 which I believe is pretty early.
Right now, I'm on the fence. I would love to restore it to working condition, but on the other hand it is so original that I kind of feel funny about restoring it electrically. I know that the speaker would have to be gutted and replaced with a modern pm type speaker as the original one is unusable mechanically.
So, I guess my question is how would this radio be best served. Restore it to playing condition or to just respect it's originality and leave it unaltered as a "Shelf Queen"?
you guys might think I'm nuts ( and maybe I am?!!) but any thoughts on my dilemma would be appreciated, thanks!
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
Philco 513- to restore or not to restore - by 37silverstreak - 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM