Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

I got the bakelite blocks rebuilt last weekend. Morzh's trick of using an allen wrench, heat gun and leaving them in the set worked great! I warmed them for about 10 seconds, clipped and unsoldered the small wires and the guts pushed right out with a small allen wrench. Installed the new caps, put the block screw back in - done!
The culprit...this one I had unsoldered the wires to replace a power cord, the rest, I left soldered in the set, and could turn them enough to remove the guts, and install the new caps.

The guts...

The rebuild...

I started on the electrolytics yesterday and have one cut open. It came right apart. I used a tubing cutter. Now, how do I put it back together?? What do you use? I fear if I just glue it, it will snap off the 1st time I bump it. I think I am going to try the 6.8mf poly as was suggested by Greg. I have some resistors to replace. These are large. Anyone know what wattage to use?

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 02-11-2014, 11:12 AM