Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the whole chassis seems microphonic. When I tap it, it sounds like a big reverb. Do you think the alignment will get this thing to pick up better? I still need to clean the tuner (and replace grommets), replace a couple of out of tollerance resistors, cap the tone control & clean the controls. I'll get the tubes tested too. I have some deoxit coming.

Got the tube tester working. Thing is ancient, and hasnt been used for years, but it is what I have. I probably should have tested the tubes 1st, and will in the future. I did have a bad experiance when I removed tubes from a good working radio (my favorite Zenith console I bought when I was 8 years old) to clean a layer of dirt off, and when I put them back in, it didnt work right. So, I am a little reluctant to do that until I have an idea of what I have. These were loktals, since then, I have read the socket contacts probably need cleaned. I never had access to this kind of info back when I used to work on these, only books and a retired tv tech back in the time.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 02-15-2014, 05:09 PM