Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco PT-69 (Done), 38-62 (Done) & 41-22CL Resto Chronicles

So I just got these 2 radios since I cant get past the grain filling stage on the rest due to the cold.

The PT-49 needs a full restoration. It will need a cabinet overhaul due to splitting on the curves and veneer issues.Gluing and replacement then lacquer thinner and #0000 wool followed by the very important grain filling. It will also need new dial covers, one for the clock and one for the dial. I have been researching making replacement covers with .020 Pet-G Vivak® Sheet from US plastics.
I will need to make a 2 piece mold for each out of MDF. They are for sale on ebay but for $40 I will try making them. It should be fun. Icon_wtf

For the 38-62 It will also need full cabinet work but there are very few veneer issues (for a change) Icon_mrgreenIcon_mrgreen
The front of the radio is photo finish so I will need to clean it as best I can and spot fix the blemishes. The filler markers and crayons have not done it so I will be using mini brushes and mixed paints. The top and sides will be stripped with lacquer thinner and #0000 steel wool and grain filled.

I would love to know the toners I should use on these. I like to play with colors but want to keep these original.

I know you know the answer Mr. Ron

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Messages In This Thread
Philco PT-69 (Done), 38-62 (Done) & 41-22CL Resto Chronicles - by OldRestorer - 03-01-2014, 11:45 AM