Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1203 / Low Phono Volume Question

Greetings and salutations!

I recently had some friends up in January who happened across an old Philco 46-1203 Turntable / Radio at a Consignment store. To my surprise, they purchased it as a gift for my Fiancee and I, and I can't be more ecstatic about it.

But I have a couple of questions about its operation, and where to start looking. The unit plugs in, turns on, and seems to work great both in Radio and Phonograph mode, with one exception:

When the power/select dial is turned to Radio, the volume levels are normal, and the tuning sounds great. But when the unit is switched to Phono, there is little volume from the playing record, if I turn it half, to all the way up, I can definitely hear the music from the speaker, but it is almost inaubible, and at its highest volume, masked by a HUM that is slightly louder than the actual music.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start with troubleshooting one-sided / phono-only volume issues?

I will have the electronics out soon so that I can refinish the old player's case, and feel that will be a good opportunity to check things out.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Messages In This Thread
46-1203 / Low Phono Volume Question - by sbish - 03-06-2014, 01:56 PM