Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Record player side sound degrades after warmup

So I became the proud new owner of a Philco cabinet console record player/radio (I can get the exact model if need be...). I am totally psyched about it. The speakers and radio sound great. In great condition, and the record player even works! Belt and needles are in good shape.

For the turntable/record player, it sounds fantastic for maybe 5 to 8 minutes or so. But when everything starts to warm up, the sound degrades quite a bit. Scratchy (like some wires are loose or something) and undulating sound. After the record player has been off for several hours, then it's fine again for 5 to 8 minutes. I am assuming when the tubes and everything get warmed up, that's causing the problem.

So I guess my question is what the issue actually stems from. And also how hard would it be to fix? I am pretty novice when it comes to radio repair, but I am pretty good with my hands and love to tinker. Is this something i can easily repair myself, or would i probably just break things more? And if I took it into a repair shop, how much would it set me back?

Messages In This Thread
Record player side sound degrades after warmup - by raywoc - 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM