Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 70 Reproduction Cabinet

If Steve ever decides to make Philco 20 cabinets, I hope he will offer both versions (plain and revised/Deluxe).

Steve, sounds like you are going to be very busy! Icon_biggrin There seem to be a lot of orphan Philco 20 chassis out there...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

...and it is a challenge, cosnidering the delicate latticework of 20's grill. And the Deluxe's shadowing front panel pattern.

I think that the main issue with the grilles in the Baby Grand style Philco 20s was the plywood that they chose for the front panel. I noticed on several repair threads for those things that they used a plywood with a thick single core laminated by two thinner veneers on the inside and the outside. I don't know what species of wood was chosen for the core but regardless of what it was it's a law of wood working that a board is always weakest parallel to the grain and strongest perpendicular to it. This is why you have the veneers in a sheet of plywood laid 90 degrees to one another. When you are dealing with a fret work grill you are cutting holes in all directions so in some areas, some parallel, some perpendicular, some diagonal. so using a tight grained hardwood plywood, with lots of thinner laminations rather then thinker ones will give you the strongest grill.
Regards
Arran

Beautiful work Steve. You're filling a valuable void since Dick Oliver passed.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yes Steve I agree with John, Thank you for your great work!

Agree very nice work. You mentioned "kit" form and I wonder how that might go. Ive seen and even purchased clock cabinets sold in kit form and heck there are entire sites that sell all sorts. Might be an easy way to find out by maybe contacting one of the big clock kit places...create an ad with all the detail and see what the response might be there. Beyond that avenue I suppose mentions at sites we typically might visit for parts etc is another. Verses setting up a standalone site is what I mean. Like this place. I could see an example there getting some interest with potential buyers.

http://www.klockit.com/depts/MantelClock...pt-37.html

SOOOOOONICE. David

I have installed a restored chassis and speaker in the cabinet. This one will be going to my daughter.

[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4456/3722...4c44_z.jpg]105_0811 by Steve Davis, on Flickr

I have already started on the second 70 cabinet. I am planning to post step by step pictures as the work progresses.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

You are spoiling her Icon_smile
Then aren't we all....Icon_smile

Beautiful. Looks almost like it just came off the assembly line! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Why almost, Ron?
'Cause you do not see the assemly line around? Icon_lol

Minor nitpick: A 70 Baby Grand should have a medium rosette knob for tuning, and three small rosettes (same size as the off-on knob) for volume, off-on, and tone.

But it still looks amazing! Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

I remember us discussing it before (I asked the question as mine has what you descibe and I had doubts), wasn't it said that there were different combinations of knobs on 70? (on 90 I see only medium rosettes tone and volume and large for tuning but on 70 I see both what you have and what Steve has).

Quote:Minor nitpick: A 70 Baby Grand should have a medium rosette knob for tuning, and three small rosettes (same size as the off-on knob) for volume, off-on, and tone.

Well, that is easy to correct.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Mike (Morzh)

This has been a topic of discussing, cussing, and general disagreement for some time now.

However

Based upon studying old Philco ads and the three Model 70 Service Bulletins (57, 57-A and 57-B), I have drawn the conclusion that, at least, the early model 70 cathedrals (without AVC) use a medium rosette for tuning and three small rosettes for volume, off-on and tone.

If memory serves, I believe most model 70 consoles used the same knobs as model 90 (large rosette for tuning, small rosette for off-on, medium rosette for volume and tone).

But I would have to re-research some of this to state solid conclusions (again)...and, frankly, I do not have time to do so right now.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN