Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1929 Philco Model 86 Restore on Youtube

For those of us in the US that's about 3700 miles away.

Seems like the sets from the later '20s especially w/legs have fallen out of favor over the later few yrs. They are big, heavy, and require more space than a cute little brite colored table top sets. The features are minimal in that most don't have avc or any sw coverage. Another thing to consider is that the technology was in it's infancy back then sets that were designed/built 5 or 10yrs later they were a whole lot better from an electronic standpoint, generally speaking.

There ok to show the history of the development of radio I have two '29 Philcos I listen to from time to time an 87 and a 77. Are they daily players not is much. I'd rather play one of the 16's, 116's, 660, or 41-300. Those sets are fun sets!

I took a quick look at the diagram and it looks to be about the same as the 87 except for the output tubes and the 86 has a phono jack.

Do keep us abreast of your progress.

I'll mention something in passing. Check the dial cables for fraying. It's a common problem. There's one in the front and one in the back. If it looks ok put a little oil them. One by one take the bearing caps off the tuning and put a drop of oil each. Reassemble before you remove the next one. The object is that you want the make the tuning cap turn nice and freely. This will reduce the load on the dial cord as it is a bit of a pain to replace. If it isn't starting to come apart then a little oil will make it last.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
1929 Philco Model 86 Restore on Youtube - by Buzz - 08-07-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: 1929 Philco Model 86 Restore on Youtube - by Radioroslyn - 05-07-2021, 10:01 AM