Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magnavox 1FM031

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...9692099792

Why? Is a question that I ask myself sometimes, so who needs a 27 inch long radio? Guess I need a longer table. With the 2 large speakers it sounds very nice, even on AM. The FM could be a bit more sensitive but well in 1967 that may not have been a big worry. Case is nice, and it looks like a radio from the Dentist office that would play EZ Listening favorites. Hate to see it trashed because it is not Vacuum Tube.  Icon_eek

As I offloaded my last AM/FM Magnavox to a guy who is a FM Disc Jockey up here I now have a replacement. This is a better sounding set than that one, though the previous find had tubes. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

It probably needs new electrolytic capacitors, especially in the FM section, and then possibly an alignment.

Impressive radio. I've seen pictures of those before but I did not know they were that large.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have cleaned the controls and it plays good though lytics need to go. I have not found too much documentation on this one. Fort Wayne Indiana.................

Paul

Tubetalk1

Magnavox started out in Oakland, California and later moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana in 1931 by way of Chicago (1930). Fort Wayne was once the home of Slagle Radio, Steinite Radio, possibly others?

I just found a website dedicated to Magnavox history:
https://magnavoxhistory.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

My late friend Steve Hofer would roll over in his grave if I didn't mention that Farnsworth also had a factory in Ft. Wayne. Unfortunately the factory building has been torn down, but Philo's house remains.

Not to get too far off track, I like your new Magnavox Paul Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Farnsworth - of course! Icon_redface Thanks John!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sweating it off up here today, off day today, back to grind tmrw. Listening to the Magnavox. My tube sets today a bit staticky, is that a word? Maybe too humid, when drizzly or moist I seem to get intereference from high tension lines out back. The solid state not so much. Sounds very fine for what it is. Very nice low end and bass but does not muddy higher end on music. So a good Magnavox product.

Has that heavy tuning feel like a german set, as a freind told me it's the flywheel effect on the tuner. Hope the heat breaks soon. Music and a cold one on a 98 degree day. Living high.

btw, nice website Ron, many pretty things.

How hot is it sez Ed McMahon, Johnny sez it's so hot ............

Paul.

Tubetalk1