Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I "stole" a 116B

Well...stole is not exactly the right thing to say.

Found at a bargain is more like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0221927599

It arrived yesterday, fortunately in good shape. My only complaint is that I asked the seller to ship it face down; and it was shipped face UP. Icon_evil Which is a great way for speakers to get ripped out of cabinets, and chassis to come loose, also; especially heavy chassis such as this. Only the packing material in the back of the radio saved it, I think. But the main thing is, it survived shipment so I'm a happy camper. Icon_biggrin

Photos to follow...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Good deal indeed. I suspect that big brown spot on the left side scared away some buyers. What did that turn out to be?

Nice find - I don't have a cathedral or tombstone yet but eventually would like to get one. What I hope is going to happen is that I stumble on one during one of our summer trips 'up north' at a yard sale and get it for a reasonable price. Might be wishful thinking but one can always dream Icon_wink

It can happen. My 116B was free from a co-worker, so I couldn't complain, despite the very bad refinish job from 30 years ago.

Ron, I saw that not long after you hit it. I was bummed Icon_confused Didn't realize it was you due to my sorrow...........LOL....Good job!

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Very nice radio Ron!! Congrats!! Yes, shipping vintage radios scares th *livin daylights* out of all us restorers!! And you can bet, all the shipping trucks personnel throw all their packages around carelessly, and dont care!! Looks like you dodged a bullet on that one!! I have shipped and received many rare vintage electronics via FedEx,UPS,etc, and it always makes me nervous! I have *insured* (to full value $$) on ground-services of ALL the major carriers before, then found out all of the items considered *vintage*,*antiques*,.. would only be covered up to $100. max by the ground carriers insurance companies from the get-go! Many of FedEx & UPS desk employees never mention this, and charge (.25 extra) for every $100. above the 1st free $100. coverage on ground shipping!! RIP OFF MAX!!!
Hence, I thought that both I,.. & my customers were covered above $100 max value when shipping, (and being charged extra), ... many vintage electronic items, and the counter-personnel never told me any different!! They keep the "extra-insurance money" they charge all us, but "push comes to shove" on ground shipping, all any of us have is $100. MAX on any & all vintage, antique electronics we ship with these type services!! Didnt mean to change the subject here, but shipping vintage electronics is very *risky* at best!!! Glad your item arrived in good condition indeed!! Enjoy!!! Icon_wink TxRockr.

Some quick photos.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...f/1161.jpg]
[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...f/1162.jpg]
[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...f/1163.jpg]

Bill - that spot on the left side was only some tinted lacquer that had not rubbed off. It's odd that on these 1936 Philco tombstones, most of the dark tinted lacquer did not seem to last. Maybe an inferior lacquer used at the time?

Alan - welcome to the Phorum, glad to have you aboard. They are better when they are free, yes? Even if you have to clean up and redo a bad refinish, as long as it isn't polyurethane...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Does the face still have its original finish? I see the decal is there.

Mine had been redone in "mahogany" varnish, the same color all over. Some of the inlay was replaced with bondo, painted black. As a final touch, the previous restorer stapled the grille to the inside of the cabinet, but used staples that were too long. They poked out through the front, and pushed a few chips of veneer too. I'll bet that guy was really pissed, as he apparently gave up and never used it.

It looks a lot better now but I keep getting the face too dark (looks good in the sunlight where I'm spraying). I think I may try it a third time.

Alan - Holy Cow! Sounds like quite a hack job was done on your 116.

Yes, the finish on the front panel of mine is original, with original PHILCO decal.

I think I will do a "selective" refinish on this one; rub down the front panel to cut some of the roughness without losing the original finish completely, and spray with clear Deft to "renew" the look. The top, sides and trim will get new extra dark walnut toner followed by clear Deft.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's good to know. I found some photos of 116s and similar sets "unrestored" but they were in worse condition, or taken from ten feet away with a phone camera. Some had more prominent grain markings, while yours looks just like mine, not much figure to the wood.

Now, is it a trick of the lighting, or are the middle and bottom sections just a tad darker than the sides?

I just looked at it again. Had to look REALLY close...but you are right, there is a slight difference in the shading; the middle and bottom sections ARE just a tiny bit darker than the rest of the front panel. I had never noticed that before.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well one of these days maybe I will run into a nice 116 at a decent price, I have been lucky enought to pick up a 16B (5 band) and a 38-2670 so a nice 116 tombstone would fill the gap nicely. Hopefully you will post some post restoration photos just to keep us up on things.

I will, Stude, I promise. Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This set is in your book. I found a totally stripped 116B cabinet at the Findlay, Ohio ham swap one year. No chassis; no nuttin'. It was about 10 bucks, so I bought it. That year, at AWA, John Wolkonowicz knew a guy there who was junking one, on the spot. He took the power trans., and a few other things, so I ended up with the chassis sans a few things that I had on hand at home. A speaker and speaker board were with the cabinet, which was just driftwood. By the time I arrived home, I had enough pieces to completely build a working set. I did assemble all the stuff, finish the cabinet, re-cap, of course, and there it is: a complete 116B. Very soon after, the other 116B came along; possibly again, at AWA. Re-cap and total refinish, and it's also in your book.

Now Ron, you think YOU got a real shlemiel deal? Try this one. I was at the flea market in Pontiac, Mich., one Saturday.I looked beneath a vendor's table, and saw a Philco 16?, 116? from the rear. Looked at it from the front, and it was a 1935 vintage 16B. How much, sez I? Ten bucks, sez he, and 10 clams came ripping out of my wallet like a rocket.

I restored it; both chassis and cabinet. It was a aurplus set to me, so a friend talked me out of it. He was ecstatic over it, of course. One of those rare occasions where I sell anything.

Want to trade that console you've been wanting out of my garage? EMAIL me when you get a chance, OK?

73 de,

Gary/N9VU