Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Questions about Restoring a Grebe Synchrophase MU-1

The more I dig into this radio, the more I learn.   Interesting discoveries...

I removed the hinge from the lid and cabinet and gave it a good cleaning with some GoJo.  After cleaning and inspecting it, it is clear that this is a brass hinge that was colored with some substance to provide the "antique color" and then it was coated with a clear lacquer to protect the colored finish.  The plates around the Volume and Color Tone knobs have had the clear coat worn through so the elements were able to attack the added color and the metal itself.   Below is an image I made of the plates sitting on top of my black ipad cover outside in the sun.

I also removed the wooden feet from the cabinet.  The color pattern here seems to indicate that this cabinet was colored with stain and then coated with a similarly clear layer of lacquer.  I am not sure that applying lacquer would result in a color pattern like this.

So, anyone have any experience or know of color products that can be applied to re-create an "antique" finish on brass?  Time for some more research.  I really want this radio to appear "original" when I am finished with it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions about Restoring a Grebe Synchrophase MU-1 - by EricS - 09-21-2014, 11:51 AM