Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Today's score & help with model #

Radiomuseum is a European site, half the content is stolen from photo sharing and other websites and the information is often incomplete, incorrect, or uses whacky terminology, this is largely because of their idiotic policy of being a "pay to play" website where they trade memberships for uploading pictures or schematics. In this case they say that the cabinet is made out "Modern plastics (no Bakelite or Catalin) even though the brown cabinets are all made out of Bakelite and the white ones out of painted black Bakelite. Unfortunately many of the posters on kijiji and Craigslist use "Radiomuseum" as a reference, one of the dead giveaway is the cutting and pasting terms like "Electro Magnetic Dynamic (moving-coil with field excitation coil)" in the description. I think what they mean by "Mains only" is the fact that some have a handle, like some portable radios do, but they are for AC or DC power line operation only, not batteries. Actually you could run one off of batteries by connecting ten car batteries in series, but it would be far from portable.
 Much as I like the chrome knobed Crosleys from the early 1950s I think they are largely overpriced for what they are. Every one is just some variant on an AA5, there aren't any with a tuned RF amplifier stage, or extra IF amps, or an FM or shortwave band. One thing you have to watch for is worn or pitted plating on the trim. The one positive aspect is that they have a larger then normal loudspeaker, so they sound a bit better then the typical 4'' equipped AC/DC set.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Today's score & help with model # - by sam - 09-27-2014, 08:32 PM
RE: Today's score & help with model # - by sam - 09-27-2014, 08:45 PM
RE: Today's score & help with model # - by Arran - 09-27-2014, 11:39 PM