Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-246

Hello folks,

I suddenly find myself with lots of free time - I was laid off a couple weeks ago. Icon_sad

So, needing something to do in between job-hunting, I decided to start on another radio project to help keep my mind off my troubles.

Here is another 1941 Philco, full of rubber-covered wiring, that should take a while to restore.

Someone has been in here a few decades ago and replaced all of the electrolytics. The speaker was also replaced at some point in time, and whoever made the replacement did not shorten the leads to the speaker field coil and voice coil as they are quite long. I intend to correct that issue.

So far, I've replaced three paper caps, one mica cap, several resistors, and a few wires. This model has three IF transformers, and all three will have to be removed so that the wires of each may be replaced. While each IF is out, I will give each IF can my usual polishing job to make them sparkle.

Stay tuned...I'll be working on it some more today...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice looking set !! Best wishes on the wire replacement. I've got a few sets that need the same. A few Zeniths, AK's and a  Philco 39-80. Big set with such a little chassis. Bought the c/c wire awhile back just need the MOTIVATION!!!!
Terry

Here's how the chassis looks so far.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...001-19.jpg]

The 2nd IF has new wires; I only need to polish the can.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...002-19.jpg]

The 1st IF is waiting its turn:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...003-16.jpg]

I spent about 2-1/2 hours on it tonight. Only replaced one paper cap, one mica cap, two resistors but several wires. These things are so time-consuming...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Best of luck Ron ! Looks like a fun project. I suppose that is one of the beauties of this kind of work, one can lose ones self in it and forget about the rest of life for a while. Looks good so far. I see you are not "restuffing" caps but just using the axial polys as is. I do the same. I know there are differing opinions on it, but, I figure it is more honest to show the work that I have done under the chassis, and not confuse the issue for some future guy working on it. It is a new cap put in in 2014, I think it helps show the history of the radio, including its electronic restoration work. I look forward to seeing the progress of your work, keep us posted !

Ron, sorry to hear you lost your job. Hope you find suitable good work soon.

I agree with your approach. I also go ahead and just use new parts rather than try to disguise them. I recently bought some new colors of 22AWG wire and plan to order more in order to have a complete supply of multiple colors. I like to use the same colors as originally in a radio or at least try to follow RETMA color coding that was common in the 1940s and 1950s whenever possible. I am going to be watching Ebay for some multi-color wire that is teflon insulated for high heat applications.

Many new components are far superior to the old ones from decades ago and will likely last far longer and still be delivering good performance. That chassis looks good so far. I know you will do a great job.

The new forum format is fine. I agree that it is better to keep current if at all possible with software. There is always a learning curve associated with it. Best wishes always.

Joe

More progress today:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...002-20.jpg]

Most of the wires have now been replaced. All but one paper cap has been replaced, and all but three resistors.

I rebuilt and reinstalled the 1st IF, polishing the can before I put the assembly back together and reinstalled it.

I have now reassembled the 2nd IF. Now only the 3rd IF is waiting for new wires and a polish job to its container.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...001-20.jpg]

That's the 3rd IF on top in the photo above; the rebuilt and polished 2nd IF is under the 3rd IF.

Another day or two and its electronic repairs should be complete. Icon_smile

Joe - since it takes so much time and effort to redo one of these Philcos with rubber-covered wires, I don't bother restuffing the caps. When I replaced wires in this set, I used the same colors as it used originally, even though the colors used do not conform to RMA/RETMA/EIA standards. I have used RMA color coding in a few other radios I have worked on; mainly those which required a complete disassembly and rewiring.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Layoffs are such a common thing here it is almost like vacation only not as often. I have personally been through 4.
Every time things eventually improved and the layoffs proved to be a blessing, every single one of them as I tend to get cozy as my friends hop the jobs and their pay is always 20-30% beats mine.

Also the last one gave me the chance to

1) Become a full time Mr. Mom to my newborn girl, for 1 year, and
2) restore my first radio, which I could not bring myself to start for a year since I had bought it, namelyn the Philco 20 Lowboy,
3) rebuild my espresso machine with a new boiler and outfit it with a PID controller.

This is why I say, enjoy the vacation, use the time well, wrap up the loose ends in your radios, devote more time to that house of yours you are selling.....

...I always start my unemployment with some travel. Two-three weeks, see places, visit friends, drive far if you like it.

You're forgetting something, Mike. To paraphrase the Beatles...(to the tune of "All You Need Is Love")

All you need is money....la da da da da, all you need is money...la da da da da, all you need is money, money's all you need.

I'm not independently wealthy like our friend Kirk. Icon_wink (just kidding, Kirk!) But seriously...I can't go travelling...and I don't need to stay out of the job market for a year if it can be avoided at all. Simply put, and this is no joke: Old Ron needs the money...and I'm too young to retire yet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, I hate to hear about you being laid off. This is a bad time of the year to be trying to find work.

Nice job on the chassis. Icon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Why, is Kirk not independently wealthy?
The guy buys radios left and right for twice what they are worth, gives half away while falling off roofs and rebuilding a house. Who but wealthy do that!
Icon_lol

It is possible to find jobs still; come Mid-November it will be harder until March or so.
Of course I do not know the Hoosier state jobs situation....Ron, you are an IT guy, right? I always thought it is still a reasonably popular trade these days. Hectic, demanding and at times nerve-wrecking, but popular and well-paying.

Suerte with the job search, Ron, may Computer Jobs Gods smile at you.

BTW Monster does bring contacts. I heard LinkedIn does too.

Well, if Kirk wants to give me one of his two PT-69 sets, I won't argue! Icon_wink

But back to the subject at hand...

Success!

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...e00020.jpg]

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...e00021.jpg]

I finished rewiring, recapping, and recarbing last night. However, the thing refused to work.

Today, I pulled out the trusty ol' tube tester. Would you believe both of the XXL tubes were dead? They still light up but test dead. Fortunately I had several extras, and replaced them both.

Then I tried it again...still nothing.

I took some voltage readings, and found no voltage at the plate of the 1st IF amplifier tube, a 7B7. Aha Icon_exclaim Icon_idea

Turned it off, pulled the plug, and did a resistance test. Sure enough, the primary of the 2nd IF amplifier was open. Notice the IF transformer lying in front of the working chassis in the first photo above? That's the culprit.

I found a prewar Philco 455 kc IF transformer in a box I have of parts which were pulled from dead Philco chassis. It isn't exactly the same as the original - the original only had one adjustment screw, while the replacement has two.

I replaced the wires to this transformer, installed it in the set, and tried it again.

Woo hoo, it is working...

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...e00022.jpg]

The under-chassis view as things now stand. Since the original electrolytics were long gone and I did not have any suitably sized cardboard tubes, I just installed the new electrolytics in the manner shown.

Notice I am using a piece of wire coiled up as a temporary loop. With the move last year, I can't seem to find the original loop antenna - or the escutcheon and dial scale for the cabinet! Icon_eek Icon_wtf Icon_crazy

At some time in the past, the original tone control was replaced with a control that includes a switch which is being used for power. The original off-on switch was the first button on the pushbutton assembly. The wires to that switch are cut off. The switch probably failed, and the repairman replaced the tone control with one that includes a switch rather than trying to fix the pushbutton switch. I'll look into that issue later. I know just what to do to fix it, as I've done it before...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Looking good Ron Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

You're in our prayers as you search for a job and sell the other house.....

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Heretic! Infidel! Blue capacitors! Aaaaaaaaa!

Icon_lol

They still used backelie block caps in 1941?

Icon_lol

Philco continued to use a single bakelite block, containing two .01 uF caps, from each side of the AC line to ground until at least 1947.

This evening, I did a quick IF alignment; the sensitivity really picked up once that was done. Now I need to look for the original loop and the escutcheon & dial scale.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron;

I agree with the approach you used. I did the same thing on the 40-201 I restored, unless I just did not have the right color of wire at the time. I have not stuffed capacitors other than electrolytics. I did install new capacitors in the AC input bakelite block after removing all the tar and old caps. Those are fairly easy to do and the end result looks like the original part.

The radio looks good. Glad you have it working now.

Hope you find new work soon at a decent wage rate.

Joe