Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Weight of 680x

Anyone here know the approximate weight of a 36-680x early model with the top cover? I'm considering buying one and the owner thinks it's about 60-65 lbs but I'm sure it's probably at least double that. I need the weight for shipping. This is my first post by the way.

bobyoung53
welcome to the phorum
I would think its close to what he says. chassis and speaker weigh the most cabinet is nothing
sam

(11-22-2014, 05:13 PM)mafiamen2 Wrote:  bobyoung53
welcome to the phorum
I would think its close to what he says. chassis and speaker weigh the most cabinet is nothing
sam

OK Thanks, I have a few RCA's here that weigh twice that.

Also can this radio be shipped in one piece? How is the chassis attached to the cabinet? Is it attached like a 38-116? I wouldn't want to ship the 38-116xx without taking it out of the cabinet.

Bob

You likely mean 680x, it is not 36-680.

I shipped a 37-116 internationally and it is a fairly good approximation.

My fully packed cabinet sans chassis, but with all speaker/clarifier stuff, plus dial assembly and tall tubes came to 108 lbs.

The chassis when packed properly was 52 lbs (bolted to plywood etc).

It shipped overseas by sea freight, came without any hiccup.

(11-22-2014, 06:12 PM)morzh Wrote:  Bob

You likely mean 680x, it is not 36-680.

I shipped a 37-116 internationally and it is a fairly good approximation.

My fully packed cabinet sans chassis, but with all speaker/clarifier stuff, plus dial assembly and tall tubes came to 108 lbs.

The chassis when packed properly was 52 lbs (bolted to plywood etc).

It shipped overseas by sea freight, came without any hiccup.

Yes 680x, I'm new to Philcos. Is the chassis securely bolted down to the cabinet in that radio? In other words is it necessary to ship the chassis separate from the cabinet? It will be a domestic shipment by Plycon who have done a good job so far. They wrap them in a blanket and keep them upright for the whole trip by truck. Sorry for all the questions but I want this to arrive safe and sound and I'm not sure how the chassis is attached to the cabinet.

I think that the chassis in any 1936 model Philco is fairly well bolted down, the 1937 and 38-116 models are different in that they sort of float on rubber mounts and are not bolted down. I think that they would not be able to mount the chassis in any other fashion in a model 680 Philco other then bolting it down, the chassis is vertically mounted. The set will weigh more then 60-65 pounds with cabinet and speaker, the chassis would weigh at least 40 pounds alone, the speaker and clarifiers another 30. Not sure about the cabinet but  higher end Philcos typically used a lot of lumber in their contruction, no 1/4'' plywood panels here, I would guess maybe another 50 pounds. The whole set will weigh in over 100 pounds for sure.
Regards
Arran

(11-23-2014, 04:01 AM)Arran Wrote:   I think that the chassis in any 1936 model Philco is fairly well bolted down, the 1937 and 38-116 models are different in that they sort of float on rubber mounts and are not bolted down. I think that they would not be able to mount the chassis in any other fashion in a model 680 Philco other then bolting it down, the chassis is vertically mounted. The set will weigh more then 60-65 pounds with cabinet and speaker, the chassis would weigh at least 40 pounds alone, the speaker and clarifiers another 30. Not sure about the cabinet but  higher end Philcos typically used a lot of lumber in their contruction, no 1/4'' plywood panels here, I would guess maybe another 50 pounds. The whole set will weigh in over 100 pounds for sure.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran, I figured it would not be a light radio, I have a couple of high tube count RCA's and they both weigh over one hundred lbs. looks like I'm going to have to resubmit to Plycon with the heavier weight. And bolted down I'm confident it will arrive here in one piece and working. incidentally Ron Ramirez restored this radio.

According to Philco Furniture History, the empty cabinet weighs 55 lbs. The chassis is very large and will weigh somewhere between 40 and 50 lbs. Add speaker and clarifiers, and I would guess you would have a total between 125 and 150 lbs.

Does Plycon offer a better rate than Craters and Freighters? Just curious, I had Craters & Freighters ship a Scott Philharmonic from Kansas to here a couple years ago. It was expensive but it arrived in good shape.

Oh, and that 680X has a new power transformer custom built to my specs (I asked for a 130 volt primary to compensate for today's higher line voltages) by Heyboer Transformers, so that's something you won't have to worry about for the next 50 years or more unless you let a 5Z3 short out or something.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh, that's your radio, Ron? (or used to be?)

No, back in 2010 I restored the chassis for the guy who's been trying to sell the complete radio on eBay recently.

I have never owned a 680X, and it won't upset me if I don't ever get one. A person can only keep so many consoles. Don't get me wrong; the 680 is a mighty fine radio for certain, and one well worth acquiring if you ever get the chance.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh, are we talking of that same guy who's been selling that 680 there forever and at some point was repulsing prospective buyers by threats to report people and promissing not to budge at all?

(11-23-2014, 09:29 PM)morzh Wrote:  Oh, are we talking of that same guy who's been selling that 680 there forever and at some point was repulsing prospective buyers by threats to report people and promissing not to budge at all?

Sounds like a mental case bucking to get thrown off fleabay. You can't report a buyer/bidder just because he offers less then what you ask for something, but you can get get thrown off for threatening people.
As for Craters and Freighters, the cutesy name would turn me off for one thing, for another they don't actually ship anything themselves they look for space on the trucks of a third party, so middlemen really. In this case you and the 680 guy got lucky, but I know of a guy on the alternative who had Craters and Freighters arrange shipping on a DuMont "Royal Sovereign" and the set was dropped off a loading dock or a forklift smashing the 30BP4 round picture tube, which is almost made out of unobtanium, like I say they basically act as booking agents who rent space with third party transport companies.
I would try Greyhound if possible, but the chassis, speaker, clarifiers, and cabinet will have to be separated, most likely, there is a 100 pound hard limit on the bus.
Regards
Arran

Craters and freighters is a franchise business and they do their own packing. I think they do outsource the trucking. I  have used them 3 times with great results.

I unloaded my 680X by myself and it is indeed closer to 150 lbs. It has a very well built cabinet and the clarifiers are 1 large one and 2 small ones plus the huge chassis. A great sounding radio IMO.
Has variable IF too.

If that is the 680X that is out here in the southwest you got a good deal on it. You don't see them very often.