Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Informal survey--owners of Philco 23X radios

To the Phorum:

I had posted a comment in an earlier thread about a 23X which was sold at auction. I would now like to hear from anyone out there who owns one of these radio-phono combo's. I believe they are relatively rare, but would like to hear how many of us actually have one.

TIA,
Charlie

Wow! That many, eh? Icon_lol

I thought there was another person on this Phorum who owned one? Perhaps I am mistaken? (No, I do not own one, nor have I ever seen one "in person.")

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,

I put a pic of mine up over at the "other" forum Icon_smile and it's listed as a Philco 23X. I'm not much of a photog, and that pic was taken right after I got it last summer. I didn't photograph it with the doors open or lid up, but could if anyone is interested.

Thanks again for a great place to "Philco" around!

Charlie

Hi everyone ...well i picked up my second 23X,(the first was at least 25 years ago sold it ) it's pretty straight..but missing the Phono.Luckly a buddy of mine has one that was his Grandparents for me to compare it to
Are there any print ads around of this set? his is a single speed motor
i'm trying to determine if it was 2 speed from the factory (i don't believe so) looks like a standard RCA motor board with Phico branded arm,my AK 75 Radio/Phono is that way just the pickup head cover says AK any help is appreciated Don

Here are 2 pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Radio-Don

I take it you ended up with the 23X in California that was being discussed over at the other forum a month or so ago? Congratulations. Icon_thumbup

I found some photos of a complete 23X online some time back, and was surprised to find it used a single play 78 rpm phonograph, and not a Capehart changer as used in the 211 and 212. The big "bat-wing" tone arm was made by Victor and was used by several different radio manufacturers.

I don't know at present if it was a two speed unit or not, but I somehow doubt it. Speeds other than 78 rpm, while available prewar, really didn't catch on until a few years after WWII with the Columbia Lp (33-1/3 rpm) and the RCA 45.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

i think the picture of the 2 speed 23X with the royal blue 78 has been modified..the veneeer grain is different ,the 23X is as tall as my 15DX!.It is the set from CL so far i did ok (Ithink)the power transfomer and all
coils and speaker fields are good ,but i might need to refinish it the top is in nice shape but the rest of the set has faded a bit still very glad to get it though Icon_smile

The 23X is a fine looking set.

I have never seen one in person but I did at one time own a nice 211 with the Capehart RP and doors.
A big-dog Philco collector in the upper Midwest owns it now as far as I know.

I still kick myself for passing on a 211 at Radiofest in 2005 that was priced at fifty bucks. Icon_redface Icon_wtf Icon_e_sad

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

y2k I saw some old pictures on the forum of the one you had WOW
I think if one that nice was in my face i'd pay a grand or more guess there aren't many sets i have not seencomes from collecting too long
I so seldom see something new (need to do an East coast meet, haven't since AWA in 1979) I really like pre 1935 sets best ...not battery so much though consoles (unfortunatly) mostly

The "other" 23X might be the one I sent in pics of a few months ago. A friend in Dallas has it, and has recently re-finished it. It won three top awards at the VRPS show last November.

The one in the awesome spray booth??? that's how i'd like mine to look when finished !! ...can't decide which i like better the 23X or 200x,201
the 23x will never sound as nice as my 201 i'm sure

Yes, Don, that's the one. It is a VERY nice looking set now. Fred does nice work.

If you have a 200 AND a 201 you may color me GREEN with envy!!! I know someone who recently made a deal for a model 201, and I confidently predict that it will be a showpiece when it is done.

The 23X is based on a Philco 91 radio, but it has the dual speakers. I have a model 15X, a 91LZX and a 14LZX with the dual speaker system.

Well they both need restoration (cabinet) the 201 is recapped and playing but itwill need work.My biggest issue is replaceing that HUGE piece of grill cloth Icon_sad it has some tares the 200X has good cloth.i will post pictures ...these are three of my fav sets