Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Kirk's Jackson Bell 62

Come on, children, behave...let's not forget, this is a family-friendly Phorum...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

LOL
sorry ron but it was funny  Icon_lol

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Yes, keep it professional please Mike and Sam... Icon_mrgreen

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Who are you calling a professional!
Haven't you seen me!

OK, so the volume resistor is not bad after all, it is simply not from this radio.
The way power was soldered looked suspicious but what gave it out is 10K value written on it.

So, we need a switcher-volume pot 3K.

I'm glad I gave this one to you Mike. You are a life saver.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

(01-25-2015, 09:06 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  I'm glad I gave this one to you Mike. You are a life saver.

Kirk

Glad to see someone working on a Jackson Bell 62. Ive got two of them now, neither are done, and both have the "Potter Condenser" metal box with a bunch of caps totaling 16.25uF. Seven wires coming out of the metal box. I think its the second version, but Im not sure 
It scares me.
Icon_crazy

Well,

Most likely all of them caps are from the incoming wire to GND, I had a much worse box on Atwater Kent 808.

Just note what wire omes from where, open the box, it likely is as any other cap cemetery box, a metal can lined with fishpaper and potted, so do the same, if the paper can be saved, save it, if not, make a new fishpaper lining, pit caps in, solder and pot.

(01-26-2015, 08:25 PM)morzh Wrote:  Well,

Most likely all of them caps are from the incoming wire to GND, I had a much worse box on Atwater Kent 808.

Just note what wire omes from where, open the box, it likely is as any other cap cemetery box, a metal can lined with fishpaper and potted, so do the same, if the paper can be saved, save it, if not, make a new fishpaper lining, pit caps in, solder and pot.

I think you are right about the caps grounding. Only thing I havent figured yet is that there are a total of six caps and seven wires going into the box  Icon_wtf

See in the sch if one of the caps is not grounded, this would require 7 wires.
Alternatively a GND might go as a wire.

Well, other than the volume pot, the recap/recarb is done.

I made Mershons 5uF each, and used 1uF and 2.2uF electrolytics to fill the can (output autobias bypass and detector cathode feedback). Made the one contol cap 0.22uF 630V, should do.
Will put a pic of Mershon stuffing later.

The Mershons

Just so nobody gets scared.....I potted part of the caps so they stay put and the wires do not touch the shell. It is pretty sturdy. I showed it before I potted it.

I used two 10uF 350V caps, and I equalized the leakage with 1M resistors.
When I use 450V caps I do not add resistors but with 350V I do.

The pots came, fitted nicely, the shaft is a tad shorter, and had to make a ground contact to go to the wiper lug...
Ready to test.

With no speeker and no one at home (icy today, my wife spent 1hr to get one traffic light at where she works so she returned back to the hospital and will stay there overnight, and since I am in charge of two kids and she is the only one trained in CPR, I decided to move testing to tomorrow).
The speeker will have to come out of one of the working radios.....unless that 39-7 spare I have actually wurks.

Kirk! Nothing is easy with you. Icon_twisted

Nope, Icon_lol

The speaker would not help anyway,

See below, Icon_eek

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Yyeeeeah........you're right, this one wouldn't.
What did you do to the cone? Icon_lol Sold it separately?