Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-3XX Console Radio

I have a lead on getting one of these consoles. The cabinet looks like it is in good shape. How are the chassis to work on and restore? What is magnetic tuning and automatic tuning? If this set has these broken what does it take to fix them?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_38_3.html

Thanks.

If you have experience, these are not bad at all. Magnetic tuning is in essence AFC, automated frequency control, that comes handy with the teledial, eliminating inaccuracies in the tuning cap positioning by locking the frequency to that of the station.
Not complex.
The wiring is good, as it was not rubber-covered and keeps well.
RF chassis is a bit of a PITA, but not egregious.
But the dial itself is somewhat complicated and requires attention and good documenting when being disassembled, so when putting it back together you do not find things you do not remember what they are for and how they go in.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Welcome to the Phorum!!
If you decide to tackle the set, post on the Phorum and get help along the way.

Thanks Guys.  It looks like a very doable radio.  Here's a picture of it.  I don't know what knob is missing or if the whole pot or switch is gone.  It does look like it in good condition.  They are asking $50 for it.  Worth it?

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like its been refinished and the grill cloth has been changed. Here's what the original grill cloth would look like http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1938a.htm . I think $50 is a good price. Here's some info on the automatic tuning.

Hi and welcome!
Didn't see your name.
Well I can tell you a few thing about this set. In 1938 (when this guy was built) Philco embarked on their No Stoop, No squat, No somethingelse ( I forget) program. That's when they started the sloped front panel on their console. Some folks like some don't. I fall in to the later. Just about all the 1938 consoles look the same to me. Now if this had been a 1939-42 model it would have a bunch of rubber wire that would need to be replaced. Lesson: Don't by a 39'-42' model unless you can't live with out it.
Back to your set. It's missing the knob for the volume control and the extension shaft. Can't tell if the volume is there without looking at the bottom of the chassis. Grille cloth scarey (not original). Also looks like the cabinet has been striped of it's finish, stained and maybe has a clear coat on it. Coloration/toning is all wrong. All these things are correctable but require some work to do it.
As always well all most always Mike is right. If you look at the back of the chassis you will note that there is subchassis in the center of the main chassis. It contains the RF amp, mixer, local oscillator, band switch, and part of the Magnetic Tuning circuit. To service this properly this subchassis must come out to replace some parts. It is a bit of a pain but not rocket science. Just time and paitions.
I think that's all I can think of.
Terry
ps just poking a bit of fun Mike. CU at Ktown if not sooner at Sams
pss pretty good for a guy who don't type!!!
psss forgot this is the link you want not that RM stuff. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013243.pdf

Guys,
Thanks for the comments. When I go look at it I'll look carefully at the missing knob, the refinish, and the redone grill cloth. I just hope this thing wasn't messed with too much before.

I'm retired and have plenty of time and would enjoy the challenge. I have a Philco 60B which will be my next and second restoration, the a 36-116X for my son's in-laws, then on to this one. So it'll be awhile till I get to it, that is if I get it.

Crist

Hi Crist,
Just so you know Philco did not use the year in the model before 1937 so there is no 36-116x. Now there is a 116X. Was one of Philco's top of the line for 1936. Big old console with a 14" dynamic speak er and P/P 6A3's in the output (15wts). Got two myself on the waiting list. 1937 was the first year for the subchassis( thank David Grimes) and rubber line cords. http://philcoradio.com/gallery/1936a.htm#j
Gud lk
Terry N3GTE

(04-07-2015, 06:21 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Hi Crist,
Just so you know Philco did not use the year in the model before 1937 so there is no 36-116x. Now there is a 116X. Was one of Philco's top of the line for 1936. Big old console with a 14" dynamic speak er and P/P 6A3's in the output (15wts). Got two myself on the waiting list. 1937 was the first year for the subchassis( thank David Grimes) and rubber line cords.   http://philcoradio.com/gallery/1936a.htm#j
Gud lk
Terry N3GTE

Terry,
Yeah, I know its only a 116X.  My bad.  I'll start on the 60B in a bout a month.  I have another project to finish first not related to radios.  Looking forward to sharing my restorations with the Phorum.  The picture you linked is the model that I have.

Crist

The 60 is a pretty easy set to work on. Other than the normal stuff caps & resistors it is common for the osc coil feedback winding to be open. Not a big deal to fix. But can discuss when your in the thick of it. Philco made a billion of those 60's
Terry

(04-07-2015, 05:51 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Hi and welcome!
Didn't see your name.
Well I can tell you a few thing about this set. In 1938 (when this guy was built) Philco embarked on their No Stoop, No squat, No somethingelse ( I forget) program. That's when they started the sloped front panel on their console. Some folks like some don't. I fall in to the later. Just about all the 1938 consoles look the same to me. Now if this had been a 1939-42 model it would have a bunch of rubber wire that would need to be replaced. Lesson: Don't by a 39'-42' model unless you can't live with out it.

Terry

Terry;
   I think you were refering to the slogan "No Squat, No Stoop, and No Squint" program or ad campaign. I would have to agree with you on this to a point, the 1938 Philco consoles with the sloped control panel do look somewhat uninspired, with perhaps the exception of the 38-690 and it's Tambor door. The inclined control panel was far from a new idea, as was getting away from peek hole dials, and many were executed in a far more elegant manner. Some American Bosch models (and their Northern Electric cousins) had this feature going back to 1932-33, it may have been offered on some G.M radios even earlier. Rogers started with this on their higher end consoles in 1935 and offered it across their Deforest Crosley and Majestic lines as well, and offered them that way until 1938-39, Rogers mounted their dial window across the leading top edge of the cabinet and used a sort of rolling pin style dial behind it, if there was a sloped panel it was for the dial, as they did on DeForest Crosley and some Majestic sets, the controls were mounted down lower but still within reach.
Regards
Arran

I Agree, I am not a big fan of slanted front, except 38-690 that I like, but then it is a bit different from the rest of the pack.

Another person, when I had a choice in sending either 37-116 or 38-116 in Ukraine, also chose 37-116, having said that he did not like the slope.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

A collector friend, who has since passed away, used to sell competing radios back when those sets came out.  He said the slogan in their shop was "No Squat, No Stoop, No Sell."   I have to add that as a collector he had Philco radios in his collection, but this was a story from back-in-the-day when shops were competing fiercely for sales.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Well, that ... fad lasted only one season. Luckily.

I'm not sure about his radio. The person hasn't gotten back to me yet. It's 3 or 4 days now. We'll see what the weekend brings.

Crist