Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone 1720 Information

Hello,

I recently purchased what I think is a Slivertone Challanger. I was wondering if any of you could confirm that for me? And give me any information you can about it.

I am new to the whole antique radio thing. I bought it because it just looks so neat! Thanks for any help.

Attached Files Image(s)

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sears_roeb_1720_1.html

Are you going to restore it, or just make it stand there as a piece of furniture?
Restoration can be somewhat expensive unless done by self which requires some skills and involves some dangers.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

It works already. I don't know how much we will use it though. I just wanted to find out if in fact I was correct in identifying it and any history behind it. Also what, if at all it's worth.

Maybe a hundred or 2 as far as I have researched.

Rarer set but it doesnt have that much desire in the current collector market.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Hi LisaC, welcome to the Phorum!!  Looks like its in nice shape but unless the electronics have been recently restored its best not to plug it in.  Capacitors and resistors are suspect after this many years.   As for value, unrestored, I'd say maybe $75 to $125.  What did you pay?  That's a good measure of value too! Others on here, may have a better/different read on value as well.  I agree its s nice looking radio.  If you are thinking of restoring the cabinet, use toning and clear lacquers....folks here can help you through it.  (If you want to paint it white and "antique it" or polyurethane it, you'll see lots of frowny faces here  Icon_cry

That's a pretty nice example of a 6 legged console, and although it has the Sears brand it was actually made for them by Colonial.  It looks like it should be a nice sounding set with 10 tubes with 4 output (45) tubes.

If it hasn't been electrically restored you should refrain from playing it until it has been properly checked out and at least the filter capacitors are replaced, or you risk damaging the power transformer which would be expensive to replace.  Plus there is a safety factor involved.

Value wise it just depends on who is thinking about buying it....

Welcome to the Phorum!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

(04-23-2015, 04:47 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  Maybe a hundred or 2 as far as I have researched.

Rarer set but it doesnt have that much desire in the current collector market.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk! I don't plan on reselling it. Just wanted to know for my own curiosity.

(04-23-2015, 05:18 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  That's a pretty nice example of a 6 legged console, and although it has the Sears brand it was actually made for them by Colonial.  It looks like it should be a nice sounding set with 10 tubes with 4 output (45) tubes.

If it hasn't been electrically restored you should refrain from playing it until it has been properly checked out and at least the filter capacitors are replaced, or you risk damaging the power transformer which would be expensive to replace.  Plus there is a safety factor involved.

Value wise it just depends on who is thinking about buying it....

Welcome to the Phorum!

Thanks Eliot. I won't plug it in again. Who could check it out for me? Make sure its working properly?

(04-23-2015, 05:02 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Hi LisaC, welcome to the Phorum!!  Looks like its in nice shape but unless the electronics have been recently restored its best not to plug it in.  Capacitors and resistors are suspect after this many years.   As for value, unrestored, I'd say maybe $75 to $125.  What did you pay?  That's a good measure of value too! Others on here, may have a better/different read on value as well.  I agree its s nice looking radio.  If you are thinking of restoring the cabinet, use toning and clear lacquers....folks here can help you through it.  (If you want to paint it white and "antique it" or polyurethane it, you'll see lots of frowny faces here  Icon_cry

Bob this was meant for you! Thanks!

Oh I have no plans to change the outward appearance. I fell in love with it just the way it is. I think it may have been restored because the woman I bought it from plugged it in and there was only a little bit of static. No other sound though. All the bulbs in the back had some light to them. I paid 135. Bob I'm guessing you agree with my assumption that it's a Silverstone 1720? Thanks for the help.

Little static and no other sounds dies not mean it works. Receiving stations means it works.
Even at that unless you can confirm the radio has been checked electronically, do not plug it in.
Your local (where are you geographically?) antique radio club/society will happily oblige with referring you to someone in your area who could possibly take a look.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

OK..thanks LisaC... will look great as is no doubt about it!! $135 sounds fair especially since it looks like you got it from a dealer shop (the little tags on things in the photo). Yep..leave it unplugged and enjoy it, but be careful...once you buy one of these there is a tendency to acquire more...its addictive Icon_lol

Hi, LisaC! I have a Silvertone just like yours! I just hope your speaker is ok. So far mine and other Silvertones I have tried from the same era all have the same issue with developing cone rub. Might just be my luck here, though.

No matter where you go, there you are.

(04-23-2015, 06:15 PM)morzh Wrote:  Little static and no other sounds dies not mean it works. Receiving stations means it works.
Even at that unless you can confirm the radio has been checked electronically, do not plug it in.
Your local (where are you geographically?) antique radio club/society will happily oblige with referring you to someone in your area who could possibly take a look.

Ok! Thanks Morzh! We live in PA. 

(04-23-2015, 06:30 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  OK..thanks LisaC... will look great as is no doubt about it!!  $135 sounds fair especially since it looks like you got it from a dealer shop (the little tags on things in the photo).  Yep..leave it unplugged and enjoy it, but be careful...once you buy one of these there is a tendency to acquire more...its addictive  Icon_lol

Yeah I thought the price was fair. I am a sucker for antique furniture and larger pieces's for sure. This was actually my first purchase! 

(04-23-2015, 07:10 PM)Jayce Wrote:  Hi, LisaC! I have a Silvertone just like yours! I just hope your speaker is ok. So far mine and other Silvertones I have tried from the same era all have the same issue with developing cone rub. Might just be my luck here, though.

Jayce! Thank you for confirming its a Silverstone!!! I was pretty sure but seeing yours was a nice confirmation. I'm probably not going to play it at all until I have it checked, maybe not even after that. I'm not sure what cone rub is? Do you know anything else about these radio's?