Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Beam of Light

ALL, I just opened up the head on my beam of light phonograph. Here are pictures of whats inside.
[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...9ijrxg.jpg]

[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...gn0l4w.jpg]

This doesn't look like whats supposed to be in side..

Any clue on what this is..

Thanks
Skip..

looks like some one replaced your bol with cartridge  
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...g~original]

Aw, geez...as Sam said, someone gutted your BOL head and installed a crystal cartridge.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, I like the picture.. Exactly how I feel. So I guess I will have to try to find a replacement..

I know Good luck..

Skip...

skip
good luck as they are rare to get
and you will still have to rebuilt it. but not hard
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

skip
out of curiosity have you tried it may be dead but worth shot
sam 

mafiamen2

Skip

I know that I would be really upset if I opened up a BOL head and found that kludge. Icon_thumbdown

Well, these do show up on eBay from time to time...and Kutztown is next week (next week?!? I've gotta hurry and finish my radios to take there! Icon_crazy ) so you might find something there.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sam, The cartridge has no needle so I couldn't try it.

Ron, Ok thats a good idea. I will be going to Kutztown. I am only about 1 hour from there and my daughter goes to College there. Hope to meet you and others.

Thanks again for all your help

Skip...

(04-28-2015, 08:54 AM)vecher Wrote:  ...Kutztown...I am only about 1 hour from there

Must be nice. Just kidding. I'm only 11+ hours away. Icon_eek

Please come by booth 551, second pavilion, and say Hi! Icon_biggrin And then go to booth 553 next to my booth and see the incredible guy who has survived roof falls, serious burns, etc. ...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

lmao  good one ron Icon_lol
poor kirk you have to almost feel sorry for him Icon_lolno
sam

mafiamen2

I have a Philco 41-629 that I worked on a few years back that is now just taking up (too much) space.  It was working the last time I played with it but I am at a point (in age) that I am being encouraged to rid my self of much of my stuff.  I would consider parting this out and making available the head or any other part someone might need.  The head is original except for the "bushings" that were replaced to make it work.  It has the original Mazda lamp. 

I had the idler wheels for the table rebuilt so those are new.  If anyone is interested you could drop a PM. 

I really do not want to toss any of this.

Regards,

marv

Hey Marv, if you really want to part out the 41-629, post it in the For Sale or Trade section. See the rules for posting. I'll leave this post here as it is a response to Skip's posts as well.

All, Was up a Kutztown today..  lots of neat stuff.  Nice to meet Ron..  

( No BOL parts. Only one radio with BOL.. Very expensive.)

So next question until I can find parts what type of crystal cartridge can I use with the turntable. Or I think can the one in it be rebuilt. See pictures.. I know it needs a needle but what else No clue.

Maybe the shop that does the refurb on the BOL can rebuild this one??

Skip...

Just got a price from Westtechservices. They want $65 to repair the cartridge I have... $50 for rebuild of cartridge and $15 for needle. A little much just to see if the phono works. What other type of cheaper cartridge can I buy just to check this out.. Or does anyone out there close to Philly have something in their stock..

Skip...

I discovered same withmine but I'm leaving it. My cartridge is mounted to bottom.

I took cartridge apart with instructions from a website and got it working good enough for now.