Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Beginner's Journey: The Philco 40-190

Update: I'll include a photo of the speaker tomorrow. Unfortunately, it isn't the Philco 36-1479-4 that I've always seen in this unit. It does have a Philco jack on it, though... the cone is also about 25% missing (probably due to mouse attack). Maybe someone here can at least identify the speaker I have.

So, I guess the next step for me is to find the correct speaker... and, unfortunately, fabricate the bottom antenna brace. Somehow.

Put a want ad here. Also, keep an eye on Ebag. They show up there from time to time.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Good morning, all!

Here's the speaker in question:

[Image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii66/...CF0022.jpg]
As you can see, the cone is hashed well beyond Syl's $1 method (or even using coffee filters to reinforce it)...

[Image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii66/...CF0021.jpg]

The frame is 12", edge to edge. The hole in the disintegrating plywood is 11" edge to edge.

The part number is buried under the rust, but (edit) I can make out a "K." The frame is stamped near the connector with "81220." (I'm a little iffy on the eight... top half buried in rust again.) I just removed the speaker from the board and spotted either "B-2" or "8-2" stamped on the back side of the cone.

Unless the 36-1479-2 looks vastly different from the '-4, I don't think I have the correct speaker.

By the way, what IS the diff betwen the 36-1479-2 and -4?

There is a speaker from a 39-36 listed on eBay... it's a 12" unit but I can't tell a whole lot else about it. Looks like the part number is 36-1438-2, but can't be sure.

Does anyone know the specs on that speaker, and whether it's compatible with my 40-190 speaker? Might make a decent sub if it is, at least on a temporary basis...

The part number is indeed 36-1438-2. Any help, someone?

You do not want the 39-36 speaker. Its field coil is 2400 ohms, more than double what you need (1100 ohms).

The most important things here is NOT whether it is 36-1479-2 or -4, but:

* Size of speaker (12 inch)
* Field coil resistance (1100 ohms)
* Voice coil impedance (5.1 ohms)

Either 36-1479-2 or 36-1479-4 will work. Both have the same ratings. They apparently used different cones, however.

More possibilities: 36-1590; 36-1528; 36-1514; 36-1596; 36-1552.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron--

As you say, I spotted a 12" Philco speaker with the right jack, so then and only then did I pursue whether it met electronic spec. I don't mind using a subbed speaker if I need to, but I want one that involves an elegant minimum (i.e., none whatsoever) of tinkering under the hood to make it fit.

This is, of course, why I asked before plonking down a chunk of money. Icon_biggrin The main reason I'm holding out for the 36-1479 is because I know the specs are right. Icon_wink

Well, if you can not find a 36-1479, then the other part numbers I gave in my previous post will work as well, because they are all 12 inch, with the same specs as yours. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh! Icon_redface

Teach me to read this foru in the small hours of the morning before I go to work... I'll expand my search to include those speakers. Unfortunately I think I may have seen one go by on eBag... Icon_sad

Meanwhile, I have to figure out how to fabricate the lower antenna brace for my cabinet, as well as the speaker mounting board. Fortunately there are screw holes in the cabinet where it used to be, and it gives the impression of being 1/2" plywood for the board itself. Guess I'll start with making the new speaker mounting board... equally fortunately, the "junk" speaker featured above had a nearly-full set of mounting hardware, rubber bits included (and in fair shape considering their age). The missing pieces are pretty easily found in the nuts'n'bolts aisle.

I should note also, that the output transformer was originally mounted under the radio chassis, not on the speaker as shown in your photo above. So someone has done some "fiddling" with your radio in the past.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron--given that this is what the back side of my radio should look like, I note there are no marks on the other speaker's mounting board where the antenna mount should attach, I don't think that this speaker is the critter that ever came with my radio. Besides, my output transformer's still attached to the undercarriage of my chassis. Icon_wink

[Image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii66/...t-file.jpg]

Anyway, I hope you'll agree that someone decided this speaker went with this radio because the plug matched, and never gave anything else a thought... hope it didn't fry anything too critical/irreplaceable... Icon_confused

I just eBagged a 36-1479-4 (same as above) for $10. Don't care what shipping will cost me. Icon_biggrin

Total for speaker including shipping: $23.50. Got off cheap, if it works.

Next matter: finding someone else around here with a 40-190 to clue me in on the dimensions of the lower antenna brace. Thickness of the wood (it looks like 3/4" by 1 1/2" in pictures) and a few other miscellaneous measurements. *sigh...*

My first piece of test equipment arrived today, the "cheap Chinese" variac that was mentioned in the post that disappeared into the ether. Okay, I don't think for a moment it's a hugely precise piece of gear, but when I dialed it in and set the voltage to 110 on its meter, it read the same on my Sperry portable voltmeter (125v) that plugging the meter into the outlet read (also 125v). I'll remember to not crank it up past 100v, just in case the $15 voltmeter is right. But it appears to give a nice smooth acceleration on the voltage, which is good.

Hey DeckApe

Someone is parting out what is either a 40-180, 185 or 190 on eBay now. Can't tell which as the seller only has one photo up at this writing but promises more soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/220278430837

Maybe you should contact the seller and ask about the lower antenna brace? Maybe he or she will sell this to you rather than throwing it away with the cabinet (which is probably what he or she will do once all the parts are sold)?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN