Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Beginner's Journey: The Philco 40-190

Oh, man... I wonder how much of the whatnot they'd be willing to sell? I'm half-tempted to by the chassis on the basis a full suite of tubes, transformers and other bits might well be worth having on hand for this restoration project. (I mean, I'd hate to see someone gut a radio that is restorable, but... some people just don't have an appreciation for the finer things, n'est pas?)

DeckApe Wrote:Oh, man... I wonder how much of the whatnot they'd be willing to sell? I'm half-tempted to by the chassis on the basis a full suite of tubes, transformers and other bits might well be worth having on hand for this restoration project. (I mean, I'd hate to see someone gut a radio that is restorable, but... some people just don't have an appreciation for the finer things, n'est pas?)

Exactly why I purchase extra chassis. It's saved my rear more than once.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

DeckApe Wrote:So, I received my packet of knowledge from Mr. Schwark today, and I found it to be very enlightening in some respects; but it left me with a new question. (I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of those in the coming months, like how to read those odd resistors with the flat body and the three color-coded dots on them.)

So, today's question: does anyone have any hints where I would find the "run number" on my set? I've read the production change information about the 40-190 and, judging from the tube label on the cabinet, I have a run number of 1, 2, 3, or 8 (or later).

Thank you all for indulging a neophyte. With any luck I'll get up early enough tomorrow to go to the city-wide garage sale and even luckier, I'll find a 'junker' Philco to work on as a practice set. Icon_wink

See the PHILCO RADIO PARTS VALUES pages of my site and look at the Carbon Resistor page for the "BODY-END-DOT" old resistor color code link or click here:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/References/r...schart.htm

CHuck

Thanks Chuck! That is the most helpful diagram I've seen on the subject.

SO.... I bought that chassis before I gave it a thorough inspection. Turns out to be a 40-180, as far as I can tell in the pictures (7-tube set instead of 8). That having been said, all the transformers and tuning mechanism are identical, so I'm still spare-parts-sell-ahead. I also picked up Johnson's "Antique Radio Restoration Guide" on the strength of the reviews from Amazon. (I'll give it a mention as to how useful I found it to be. I suspect I'll still be making a break for my "theory of DC Circuits" and "Theory of Electronics" textbooks from college. S.o.B... I hope I still have 'em! Icon_redface

How goes the work on your 40-190? I recently bought a 40-195.

Web site: http://www.masekconsulting.net
Radio Photos: http://www.photobucket.com - album id FStephenMasek

I honestly haven't had the time to start actual work on it. Icon_redface So far I've been doing a bit of research, obtaining various bits of test gear and books, and an assortment of non-electronic parts (buttons, rubber chassis mounts, decals, plugs)... still waiting for my speaker to show up. I've been laughing with my roommate that I'm into this radio this raido for $200 and I haven't even started fixing it yet! Icon_biggrin That having been said, I think that 'hollow state technology' is fascinating and I can tell I'll be making a hobby out of it, so I can spread out the cost of the equipment over several radios--and doing a few for friends once I get my feet under me, charging a modest supply and labor fee. Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin

Well, the speaker arrived... it's missing two out of four wires, and I'm honestly not sure about what should be where. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it later so someone who is an expert can tell me what I'm still missing. Icon_sad

DeckApe,

I'm sure that I don't qualify as an "expert" but I do have a 40-190 in house that I can refer to in order to answer your questions about the speaker connections. Just let me know how I can help.

BTW, with your "DeckApe" handle, you've gotta be a Navy vet, right? If so, we've got more in common than just an interest in old radios.

Jim

Fudd--close. I'm a Chief Mate in the Merchant Marine. (Washington State Ferries to be exact.) Icon_smile

Now, the speaker:

[Image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii66/...CF0004.jpg]

There's clearly something missing from the central bit of the speaker, that the other two wires probably connected to. D**n it. Anyone able to help me on this? (I'm really starting to sour on eBay shopping... gota ferret out some local sources.)

Hoo boy. Someone removed the field coil from your speaker. It's junk. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

The seller had to have known the speaker was in that condition, unless he/she knows nothing about vintage radios. (Just giving the benefit of the doubt here...but it might be worth pursuing an e-mail to the seller...or perhaps even a PayPal claim?)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nah, for $23.50 all told I'm not going to pursue it. It was salvaged out of a gutted cabinet, and I don't have any reason to suspect he knew it was any good.

Meanwhile, I think I may have damaged the cone myself. At least I get to pracitce Syl's repair techniques.

Blast.

*eternal optimist checking in* Oh, hey, eBag's got a 36-1528-4 listed for $10... Icon_biggrin Not perfect stock but at least it has the field coil attached!

The 40-180 chassis arrived today. It's in good shape, at least cosmetically. It is from run 4 or later (the 7J7 was replaced with a 6J8G), and it arrived intact with the exception of the dial glass. Fortunately, it was insured for $50, which is good because a replacement glass (in acrylic, from Radio Daze) is $30. That having been said, I don't know if I'll bother to obtain a replacement... who am I kidding? Of course I will--that way, I'll be able to do a full restore on the chassis (and perhaps sub the 180 chassis in the cabinet while I'm working on the 190).

Anyway, I still need a speaker... d'oh! I wonder if the guy with the 40-180 that was thinking of parting it out will sell his...

Latest acquisition: Eico "Satan's Choice" Model 666 tube tester with the 610A adaptor for TV tubes. Most manuals included, including a couple of variations on the tube charts. Operating manuals would be nice... I have a CD coming with those on board.

I'm well aware of the eccentricities of Eico tube charts; maybe someday I'll get ahold of a tube chart and schematic for a Jackson 648S as well, and compare the set-ups to do some "translating." Someday, when that bucket of spare time comes in the mail... Icon_lol

Philco RMS yearbooks are awesome sources of reference.

Unfortunately, it also proves that someone's been stuffing tubes into my radio. Icon_sad

Someone "subbed" a 7B8 pentagrid converter for my 1232 triple grid amplifier, and a 7H7 semi-remote cutoff amplifier (whatever that is) for my 7J7 triode hexode converter (whatever THAT is). I suppose with all that, it's no wonder by 84/6Z4 tested out badly. Icon_cry

Guess I'll flush out that 40-180 chassis--except, of course, that it's one of the later units that had the 6J8G variation for the 7J7. Feh.

I'll be over at Ron's Bar & Grill if anyone needs me. Icon_rolleyes

Sounds like it's time to purchase some tubes if you don't have any spares.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN