Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-17 help needed

Looking for someone who can tell me how to get the tuning knob off the shaft.  This is the knob that has a screw in the center of it on the side of the cabinet.  I need to take the dial bezel off and it looks like the chassis has to be out of the radio to get to the dial bezel.  Thanks for any help!

Hi and welcome !
To the best of my knowledge Philco didn't use any knobs with setscrews. If your set has a setscrew in the knob it will need to loosen to remove it. Then you can remove the chassis.
GL
Terry

Terry,
Thanks for the reply.  This is definitely an original set-up.  I've included a link to a photo of the knob on the net.  I can take the screw off, but I don't want to break the knob, trying to pry it off the shaft...
https://www.google.com/search?q=philco+3...B640%3B480
Steve

The knob should just pull off once the screw is removed.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ohhhhh one of those. Do like Ron sez and it will come right off.
Terry

After talking to Mark Palmquist and Julie McCall last week, I used a little Kroil, a penetrant that I found out about a couple of years ago.  This stuff works better for me than anything else I've tried.  Sprayed some down the center screw hole in the knob last week and let the radio sit.  I gave the knob a pull today and off it came!  Now I have the chassis out and ready for a chassis restore!  Thanks to all, including Ron and Terry for their support!

Thats true, Kroil is a good penetrating oil.