Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Differance between Philco 51 Chassis and Philco 52 Chassis?

Every schematic I find for the Philco 51 and Philco 52 are the same. I am wondering what makes one different from the other? I am currently working on what I think is a Philco 51 Chassis, but how could I tell if it was a 52?

I am sure this  has been asked before, but I could not find an answer! I am sure I have just missed something.....

Thanks guys!  Icon_crazy

cparsons
I believe they are same chassis
even gallery says they are same tube line up
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

According to Riders the chassis is the same in both radios.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks guys for the replies! I might just be mixed up. That is always a big possibility.

I guess the reason for my asking is that in January 1932 the Model 551 Colonial Clock Clock used a model 51 chassis, but in June 1932 the same Colonial Clock used a model 52 Chassis. Why did the model numbers on the Chassis change?

I am working on the Chassis out of a Colonial Clock, but I would like to know if it is a 51 or 52.

(05-14-2015, 04:31 PM)cparsons2391 Wrote:  ...in January 1932 the Model 551 Colonial Clock Clock used a model 51 chassis, but in June 1932 the same Colonial Clock used a model 52 Chassis. Why did the model numbers on the Chassis change?

Because Philco could...and they did.

It was probably purely for psychological reasons. The model 51 was "last year's model" by the time the new models came out in June 1932, so Philco's brass probably decided to just change the model number and otherwise retain the same chassis. The 52B and 52C did have new cabinets...

Philco did the same thing with model 36. The chassis is the same as model 35. The 36B cabinet is quite different from the 35 cathedral, which was identical with the 70 cathedral save for the exposed speaker screws in front.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the info Ron! I naturally assumed a change in model numbers was change in design. I guess not necessarily with Philco!

Not only.

If you have a 20 chassis in 20 and then some 21, or 111 in both 111 and 112, then Zenith "Walton" 9-tuber 9-S-232 is the same as the console 9-S-262, etc.....no one says different models cannot use the same electronics...sorta like some Caddies are Chevys inside.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.