I've rewound this and now I'm having a hard time
trying to solder leads to it. This 40 gauge wire keeps
burning up when I try to solder it. I've using a Weller 
8200 and even at 100 watts setting it burns.  Do I need
to buy a pencil, if so which do you recommend? Or is there
another process to connect leads?
Thanks....

Danny

Yeah, a 100 watt gun is probably most of your problem.  If you don't want to spring for a soldering station like the Weller WESD51 or WES51 you can use a 25 watt iron or maybe even a 45 watt if you're careful.  I prefer a temperature controlled iron, but an el-cheapo like the following will easily get you by:

https://www.parts-express.com/variable-w...s--370-340

Look at the 2nd review by the guy in Lexington.... he is a friend of mine and he loves that iron.  

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

If you are cheap like me you can remove the tip and make a larger (longer) one with coat hanger. The longer the cold.
Terry

A technique I learned and used: take a thick gauge copper wire, like the one used for house wiring or just a tad thinner, and tightly wrap it around your 100W tip, as many turns as fits. Then allow about 1-1/2 to 2" long tip, shape it with a file to a bevel. It is excellent to use for small wires. The ratio of tip length to number of turns dictates the temperature.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have run my 35 watt pencil iron on a variac to reduce the heat, not great regulation if the house voltage is jumping around, but works good for quick job.
Hank

Great help thanks everyone....I do appreciate all the replies,
Morzh...I tried your suggestion and it worked great.

Danny