Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The innards of that AK 20 Big Box set

(06-29-2015, 08:18 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Well the voltage look good so I think you have something that is open. So let measure the resistance from the 1st tuning cap stator to the rotor. Then measure the resistance from the stator to the grid pin of the first rf tube. Measure the resistance from the ant post to the stator. Rotate the ant switch. All should show a low resistance.

Terry

You are on to something here! 1st tuning cap star to rotor=4.7 ohms, Stator to grid pin=689 Kohms!!!, antenna post to stator=16 ohms? But when I turned the antenna switch to the different contacts, the ohmage dropped to 2 ohms or so.

689K! I'm measuring the grid resistors, of course. In my defense, I am profoundly colorblind, so color coding is lost on me. I have to rely on position of the light at stop lights, and I simply misread 689K as 689 Ohms. Stupid.

I have to go to the local electronics store for the correct homage resistors, but I should have it soldered in by this evening. I guess your advice and a good night's rest is all I needed. I feel dumb, but excited. Thanks.

I have the new resistors in on both tuning caps, and the radio sounds clear and strong through my headphones. I'm wondering if the signal isn't strong enough to drive my AK model E speaker? At any rate, thanks for all the advice.

Charlie in San Antonio

Messages In This Thread
RE: The innards of that AK 20 Big Box set - by ccomer1955 - 06-30-2015, 12:53 PM