Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 48-1256 Humming and no sound from speaker

Hi, first-time philco radio owner here! I just purchased a Philco Model 48-1256 from an antique store this weekend and everything works but there is no sound coming from the speaker and when I turn it on there is a humming noise. Does anyone know how I can fix these 2 problems?

Thanks!
Leilani
Columbia, SC

humming is sound from speakers need to replace all your capacitors . Idont know much but learning just like you. replace resistors also.
Then keep searching this awesome site and its links and you will get that radio working.
denver

Well for starters here is the service info for your set. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/612/M0013612.htm
If the hum is good and loud and can't be controlled by the volume control you will need to replace C-101,102,&103. This should releave the hum problem. At this point you may be able to hear some signals. Would recommend that you also replace all of the wax/paper capacitors. This should put you in good shape.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ok, so I took it to Maunz Electronics and he told me exactly what it needs repaired. Unfortunately, they couldn't find the parts. Can anyone near Columbia, SC help me? It needs 3 caps: 10uf 250 vdc, 40uf 450vdc, 15uf 250vdc. It also needs Vacuum tubes 7C7 and 7A8 replaced, and the phono pick-up cartridge needs to be replaced.

Don't think they are trying hard. Check under the resources section to find the parts you'll need. You can up up on the voltage rating of the caps. The 250v or 350v jobs can be replaced with 450v units no problem.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Wow! I think you're right. I just looked in the resources and found all the parts I need and they weren't even expensive! I have the part numbers for the Caps and the Vacuum Tubes, just don't know what the part number is for the phono pickup cartridge.

This isn't unusual, most TV shops don't want to deal with an old radio even if they know how to service it, it's just too much trouble and many are afraid that they will get stuck with it when they present the bill. With the phono cartridge you may have some troubles finding a factory style replacement, many of those old cartridges used something called "Rochelle Salt" crystal pickups, on occasion they used magnetic ones. In either case the original cartridge will likely need to be rebuilt or another one adapted in it's place to work. It's only a 78 RPM record changer anyhow, it can be made to work but your music selection is somewhat limited.
Regards
Arran

Try http://www.west-techservices.com. They do a fine job rebuilding phono cartridges. I have used them several times quite satisfactorily. They're easy to deal with, too.