Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mid-century portable 53-658

(08-14-2015, 05:08 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Looks like the mixer toob has a crack in it. Top looks awful white. Hope it's a 1R5 not that Z toob.
Good find.

Terry

I don't think that Philco ever messed with 1L6s, not that I can see in the collection of diagrams I have. Not that it matters anyway since this is an AM broadcast set with that so called "special services band", which is basically just above the upper end of the B.C band. If it did use a 1L6 it could be easily switched to using a 1R5 with no ill effects. That would not be the case with many brand Z tube portables from that era, even if they were single band they still often used that silly tube, probably to get enough economy of scale to get a cheaper price from Sylvania who manufactured them.
Regards
Arran

Nice to have the original graphics on the battery. Scan it and save the scan to the Phorum. It will allow others to reproduce that battery either with 9V/1.5V batteries installed in a case or to put in an A/C powersupply which is really not needed as your radio already has A/C operation. Good battery graphics are getting really hard to find. Nice radio.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.