Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Phono cartridge retro fit?

That's good to know! I'll get there yet. I've grown some good sized Rochelle crystals and still intend to get the tilt cartridge working just to say I did but unless it works amazingly well (doubt it) I'm definitely following your example. Thanks!

Well, that was amusing!  I made a Rochelle salt element for the tilt cartridge and wired it up to a little amplifier.  Just holding the cartridge by the wires and touching the needle to a record produced some sound!  It left a lot to be desired but I really had it Frankensteined together.  I could see if I can improve things but the attempt was mostly to see if I could grow my own crystal and get sound out of it and I've done that! Time for a more sensible approach.

hi squire
sure would like to see how you did it and  pic`s would be help full Icon_thumbup

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(10-02-2015, 02:38 AM)sam Wrote:  hi squire
sure would like to see how you did it and  pic`s would be help full Icon_thumbup

I attached a picture of the finished element.  Much trial and error would be needed to get the thickness right along with figuring out dampening it with rubber or something similar.  The original element and dampening material were roached.  Here's the procedure:  The Rochelle salt powder is available on eBay.  I paid $7.50 for 4oz.  You mix the powder with hot water and strain the solution through a paper coffee filter.  Let the solution sit in a shallow container and the crystals will grow.  They are easily cut with a fine blade hobby saw and then can be sanded down to the correct size and shape.  Like the two elements of a piezo wafer, you need two pieces of crystal that will vibrate against each other.  The two elements are placed one atop the other and the two sets of contacts (one for the stylus holder and one for the wires to the amp) are each attached with one on top and one on bottom.  This creates the piezo element or "bimorph".  The contacts are held in place with foil tape.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice job. Probably if you had unlimited time you could really take some time and make it like new. I like having things be original as they were intended, but the new, more modern needle cartridge I had purchased and retro fit into my tone arm sounds soooooooo cyrstal clear, buzz and humm free - that in this case, I think it was worth it to make the updated modification.

It was a fun project! The twins (they are five) enjoyed growing the crystals so that alone was worth it! I'm setting the M-22 aside for a bit and will be working on the D-10 in my 46-1203. Rather than try and rebuild its crystal cartridge I'm retrofitting a Pfansteihl P51-3. I've heard others have had good results with that cartridge. When I get back to the M-22 I'll do as you've done. I want to use a bridged stereo cartridge so I'm not limited to playing only mono records.