Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Museum Quality Philco Console 37-690 Radio

I signed up for the on line only option and was getting monthly classified ads then it just stopped.
 I emailed them but got no response.
I did get a email about thier 50% off books on sale a little while back. Kinda dissappointed after paying money for the online version.

Unfortunately that is a common problem, ARC did not seem to reinvent itself in time and format to swim upstream as a hobby publication. Not to get off the thread but............mnay were dissapointed.

Paul

Tubetalk1

A really nice 37-690 sold on eBay maybe 6 months ago for $2600.

Maybe 2 months after that, an even nicer one listed out here on Seattle CL for the same price.  I have it on good authority that it finally sold locally for $1800.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-37-690-Co...1763702174
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...9&start=20

Oh, I see Willie has a 38-690 on eBay this week. Not in as pristine condition though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-38-690-Co...2020105673

Willie always has some interesting radios on eBay. Has anyone here ever bought one of his? How is his refinishing in person?? I wonder where such a seemingly endless supply of nice '30's consoles can be coming from......

Steve I have often wondered the same thing. Where does he get all of those consoles?

(08-25-2015, 11:45 PM)SteveG Wrote:  Willie always has some interesting radios on eBay.  Has anyone here ever bought one of his?  How is his refinishing in person??  I wonder where such a seemingly endless supply of nice '30's consoles can be coming from......

Willie doesn't refinish his radios, he sells them "as found."  He lives in the heart of radio country and goes to all the major meets and auctions where consoles often sell very reasonably.

He has also gained a stellar reputation by being one of the only sellers to ship consoles packed well and at a reasonable cost.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

+1 Eliot, he works his butt off finding quality consoles and provides excellent shipping prices and packaging. No, he doesn't refinish or electrically restore but describes them well. If you can't find a local pickup for the console you desire, Willee is the place to go.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Hi guys! I just had a discussion with a very good buyer of mine to whom I offered my gorgeous 37-690 to for $3,400.00l. That is the lowest I have ever offered it for. Well, seems like he wants to buy by price since he found another 37-690 that needs total restoration electronically, new repro grille cloth, and total refinishing. It will probably cost him about 2,500.00. It looks like he'd rather go that route than take one with an original finish and top flight electronics. My argument is this: Don't most of us here think that a finish which is like factory, maybe better since it has been waxed shined and buffed for many years before I got it. Also, the matching veneer panels on the front of mine are far superior to what he has to work with. I could go maybe a hundred lower and not have to deal with ebay and it's commissions and crazies but that's about all I'd want to lose. What do you feel?

Also I have some GREAT news! For the first time ever I lucked out for the upcoming Kutztown Radio Meet which starts with the dealers setting up on Thursday Sept. 17th and ends on Saturday Sept. 19th. In between there is an auction which promises to be wonderful since there is a big load of radios and associated equipment from a private estate. My good fortune is that I have NEVER had a booth in the MAIN PAVILLION, in the very center of it, and on the outside lane with electricity and three tables. I have already started "pulling" sets of quality and sets which will serve as bread and butter and am very excited. Also a very nice man is "giving" me on consignment a wonderful RCA 6HC-6 Orrthophonic Phono/Radio which is especially interesting since it is known as a "room divider" set with a cloth grille-like back so it can be placed just about anywhere. It also comes with a large extension speaker which has a wood back and must be placed against a wall. He has another neat set which is a  Philco consolete from about 1950. The number he gave me is 50-1721 but  I think that is the wrong number since it applies to  some thirties radios. I wanted your opinion on whether or  not to jam  this  in my van too since it must be worth the space it will fill. He  wants only 100 for it and i know the radio sounds great and has nice speakers but the  green standard turntable with cobra like arm is untested.  I will include a photo.

Now, Ron, before I forget, if you are going to this Meet PLEASE look me up this time and should I be out buying (not as likely since my current interest of getting hi-fi vintage gear has taken over the radio madness!) DO look me up so we can finally meet. Okay?

And now back to getting sets ready and good luck to me!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Sam, it depends.
Personally I try not to buy electronically restored radios as I want electronics done only by myself.
Cabinets is different matter but restoring cabinet is not likely to cost you a coupke of big ones, not on Philco.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

You are likely right when it comes to cabinet restoration. In the case of my radio, though, the finish can't be beat--bar none! And the electronics were done by a top restorer who used components of higher grade and specs than needed. But I'm still very tempted to lower the price to 3,200.00 just so I don't have to deal with ebay!

Any guesses on the value of the Philco consolette pictured above? I don't want to waste my time or my consignor's if it isn't worth at least a couple hundred dollars. Have too much of my own I could take to the show instead. But I must admit they are a LOT heavier!!

Sam

No offense Sam, but without pictures we can't really say what your 690 is worth.  I've seen other people brag about a beautiful original finish that turns out to be much less, and like Mike said, most of us would rather do the electronics ourselves.

eBay is the place to get the most for your radio, but as pointed out you have all the fees to deal with along with the hassle of shipping if you want top dollar.  The 38-690 that recently sold cost the seller quite a bit more to ship than he anticipated, but he paid for the excess out of his own pocket.  If it were me I'd advertise the radio on the forums for significantly less than $3300 with a local pick-up or delivery to Kutztown, but that's just me wanting to avoid all the fees, buyer protection B.S., and the hassle of shipping a radio that size.

The Philco consolette you have pictured looks pretty clean, but I have no clue what it would bring at Kutztown.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I have not seen these consolettes sell for much more than a 100 bucks if that much.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Is that 100 bucks working or non working?

Also, in the morning when the sun is bright I will get a couple photos of the 37-690 and you can judge them. 

thanks,

Sam

Recently a very nice looking original finish 690 with no electrical work indicated sold for $1200 in So. Ca. It was do doubt underpriced for this area.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(09-08-2015, 05:59 PM)Sam samuelian Wrote:  ...He has another neat set which is a  Philco consolete from about 1950. The number he gave me is 50-1721 but  I think that is the wrong number since it applies to  some thirties radios.

No, Sam, 50-1721 is indeed a 1950 model. The 50- indicates 1950 model year.
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1950.htm#s

Quote:Now, Ron, before I forget, if you are going to this Meet PLEASE look me up this time and should I be out buying (not as likely since my current interest of getting hi-fi vintage gear has taken over the radio madness!) DO look me up so we can finally meet. Okay?

I will be there. I see you're in the main pavilion this time; which table? I will look you up. Oh, and in May I saw quite a few stereo receivers along with the older radios. I've said it before, I think early stereo gear is becoming the "new" antique radio gear.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN