Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Krylon Satin Nickel for chassis painting

Some time ago I used some Krylon Satin Nickel to repaint a Philco 40-201 chassis that was badly corroded in places. The result was so close to the original plating that it would be very difficult to tell them apart. Recently I found some Krylon Satin Nickel/Brushed Metallic, 69303, that I thought was the same thing. Unfortunately it was not. Instead, although the color is about right you can see metal particles in the finish almost like a fine type of metal flake paint. The original Krylon paint I used had such fine particles that you could not see them with the naked eye. This new 69303 paint is not what I want. Do any of you know what the finer finish Krylon Satin Nickel paint part number is?

In the meantime, I have contacted Krylon with a similar question and hope to hear from them soon.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Thanks for the info!

You might try some mom and pop hardware store that still has some old inventory. You could even ask if they have an old catalog to look at.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
                           /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]  Chris

Is it #51255? It's described as satin nickel metallic enamel.

Squire;

Yes, that is the original part number that Krylon produced that worked so well. Since today is a holiday, I probably will not hear from Krylon until Tuesday or later. In the meantime, I will continue to look for the original part number.

Joe

It's available online. Just enter "Krylon 51255" into Google shopping and you'll get several listings. You'll pay more for shipping than you will for the actual paint tho which always bites! I hope you can find some locally so you can stock up.

I found some of the Krylon 51255 paint on Amazon and ordered one can of it. I hope it turns out to be the original type. In the meantime, I tried some Rustoleum brand Satin Nickel 249130 that I had bought at Ace Hardware. It turned out to be exactly like the Krylon Brushed Nickel 69303 that has the near metal flake look to it. Apparently all the companies now think that people want to see tiny sparkles in their paint. It will not work for chassis painting. It just does not look right.

I hate to buy paint just to try if I do not have another use for it. There are some other brands and types including store brand paints that might be worth trying at some point. However at about $10 per can it can get expensive.

Joe

You might try eastwood.com   They are in the auto restoration supply business and have many types of metal type paints.