Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Thread - What to do with this 38-116

Thanks for all the replies!

I for sure will not make it into a bar. I guess for now, I will put it in line with some other projects. Unless someone wants to buy it, thats an option too.

Thanks!

If your up for the challenge, as indicated this is a great receiver. It will take a lot of time to replace caps and check resistors. The result will be spendid. Very nice cabinet. As your located in So. CA there are no doubt a lot of people close by that would love that set. Another option to sell it to someone who will restore it. I'm currently in Orange County but just don't have room for another radio. Assuming the "iron" is good (transformers) it should be less than $100 for parts and perhaps a tube or two.
Good luck on what you decide.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I absolutely agree with 95% of what was said above. I think this radio deserves a proper electronic restoration including replacing all the paper and electrolytic caps, and I would just go ahead and replace all the resistors as well and save having to go back in later. The only thing I would disagree on is that I see no problem with installing an optional line input. Remember, this will only be a mono amplifier, so you will need to Y the stereo inputs before they go into the audio input jack. A small RCA jack might be mounted in an uncluttered spot on the back of the chassis, and connected to the first audio stage. This was a common modification to these sets in the 1940s and 1950s so that people could add a turntable. I know the purists will scream, but I don't have a problem with it myself. It adds new functionality to the set with a hardly noticeable modification that allows people to use it in modern ways for years to come.

Keep it and rrestore it! Do not part it out or anything like that. I love my Philco and you will to it is a GREAT radio! be thankful you are one of the lucky ones that have come across one to have for your very own.

From reading your first post....

Option 3 gets my vote.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Option #3 is what the OP decided upon...

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=13177

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

What are you doing asking....As far as the replies that you should be getting from this forum This radio should be kept as it was intened to be listened too! For one this console was in the top of the line as far as the quality of the radio. And many of our members list it as a keep in our radio collection, and I am one who conciders that. If you have ever listened to one in a resorded condition as far as the electronics, you would think the same also. They are the best of the best.

As Ron said, Blown has offered it up for sale on the Phorum at a great price in a market area rather devoid of these nice radios. Someone in So. CA should jump on it. Perhaps he is not really interested in the addiction of old radios and more power to him. JMHO
Best, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I think he made a good decision. From the post my impression was he was not interested in the radio as a radio. There are other things that will have tubes and play iPod. Meantime someone who really appreciates the radio will get the chance to have if. Good for everyone.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully this radio will go to someone who can restore it or appreciate it for what it is.

Keep it away from your wife!!!! Icon_eek

I am curious about the amp you made. What are: 1. Tubes used; 2. transformer used and secondary HV winding; 
3. method of output tube bias?

(10-10-2015, 07:35 AM)TA Forbes Wrote:  I am curious about the amp you made. What are: 1. Tubes used; 2. transformer used and secondary HV winding; 
3. method of output tube bias?

Here is the schematic:  

[Image: http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/...iccopy.jpg]

Tubes are 12AX7 for the preamp and 6V6 for the power stage.

Ah!  An old Fender guitar amp schematic.  :-)

Chuck

exactly!